We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sisi ticket & Schonbrunn palace concert May 30, 2013

New York, New York...
12 posts
Save Topic
Sisi ticket & Schonbrunn palace concert May 30, 2013

I have been reading various posts, but I am confused about a few things, and would appreciate the forum's assistance:

1) It looks like the sisi ticket allows entry to Schonbrunn and Hofburg palaces. Does it include entry to the the Imperial treasury (Schatzkammer)? Or is that a separate ticket, and if so, how much does it cost?

2) I am trying to decide if it makes sense to buy the Sisi ticket online. We are 4; including my parents (66 yrs old) and my husbad & me (late 30's, early 40s). We want to avoid queues. Or could we buy the tickets at Hofburg where the line is supposed to be shorter, and use the sisi ticket next day at the Schonbrunn?

3) Would my parents get a senior citizen discount? should we buy the vienna card first, and then get the sisi ticket?

4) We will be in Vienna May 29th to May 31st. It looks like the Vienna Philharmonic is having an open air concert at the Schonbrunn on May 30th evening. Would you recommend we visit the palace that day in the afternoon and stay for the concert? Or will it be a chaos and too crowded?

5) Thoughts on the concert? Would you stay for it; or enjoy a classical music concert at another venue?

Appreciate your feedback.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sisi ticket & Schonbrunn palace concert May 30, 2013

1) Schatzkammer is not included and costs 12 Euro (11 with Vienna ticket)

2) buying online avoids queques - Schoennbrunn can get very busy as it is top tourist attraction in Austria - Sissi ticket is valid one year

3) there are no discounts - Vienna ticket makes sense if you plan to see many attractions - check out Vienna card benefits and see if you want and can use them during 3 days

4) the concert will be very popular and tickets with seats might be sold out - people will sit everywhere on the hills of Schoennbrunn and listen to it if weather will be nice - it is for sure an experience to remember and I would check it out - if you do not like it you just leave

5) alternative is to visit one of three opera houses

New York, New York...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sisi ticket & Schonbrunn palace concert May 30, 2013

thanks for your detailed response. Very helpful. I'll keep you posted on what we end up doing. thx.

New York, New York...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sisi ticket & Schonbrunn palace concert May 30, 2013

One more question. It looks like the sisi ticket can be bought at the Hofburg palace. Do the queues at Hofburg get long? I was thinking we can buy the sisi ticket at the Hofburg palace and visit Schnobrunn the next day. Or would you suggest buying the sisi ticket online before we go? thanks!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sisi ticket & Schonbrunn palace concert May 30, 2013

We bought a Sisi ticket at the Hofburg earlier this month. On a Monday morning we queued for perhaps five minutes. The quickest place to get a ticket is the Hofmobiliendepot which is included in the price. There are never queues there so could be a good place to start.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sisi ticket & Schonbrunn palace concert May 30, 2013

for the Schonbrunn Concert check here

www.sommernachtskonzert.at

contrary to the above - no tickets needed - it is free and open to anyone.

Sitting on the grass hillside between the Gloriette and Orchestra is possible but not he best acoustics.

Really a fun atmosphere - note staring time- perhaps visit the palace later in the afternoon-

enjoy food at one of the restaurants in Schonbrunn

www.schoenbrunn.at

or a short walk to Hietzing district - just outside the Palace park gates - numerous dining choice there and most probably less crowded.

The recently renovated Park hotel Schonbrunn has a restaurant and café just outside Palace gate in Hietzing

The concert an exciting and fun evening - price / free not bad to see the Philharmonic.

Edited: 4:38 pm, May 22, 2013
6. Re: Sisi ticket & Schonbrunn palace concert May 30, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 24, 2014