We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Riding School

Level Contributor
542 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Riding School

I am in the process of solidifying our plans to Vienna and Budapest this summer. We should be in Vienna on August 19th and leave August 24th. As my 16 year old son is such a pleasure to travel with, I wanted to make sure that there are plenty of sights on our "to do" list that may remotely interest him. I thought the SRS would be great, but when I went to their website, I noticed that the only time there will be a performance is the day we plan to leave for Budapest. How long is the show generally?

Also, I was considering the Boy's Choir. I am having a hard time finding their schedule in Vienna. How long are their concerts?

Thank you in advance for your replies

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Riding School

You are coming to Vienna in the worst month for live performances. The major orchestras, opera houses and the Vienna Boys Choir are all on their annual holidays. And I think the SRS are also. Sorry if this is not a helpful answer, but there is nothing you can do if you are tied to these dates.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Riding School

Norman is right, as always, that most things are closed in August but the SRS resume their performances around mid-August, so there is a show on the morning of Saturday 24th August. It starts at 11am and runs until approx 12.20.

From Tuesday-Friday during the week you are in Vienna, it's also possible to attend morning training at the SRS (10.00-12 noon). You can read about that here:

srs.at/en/…

It's also possible to do guided tours of the riding hall and stables in the afternoons - see:

srs.at/en/repertoire/programme/guided-tour/

For performances, it's advisable to book in advance; tickets to training and the tours can be bought on the day. If you can't make the performance, then, you could still see the horses and the school in training and/or the tour, if you wished.

Level Contributor
542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Riding School

Thank you. I changed our plans to leave Vienna on the 25th so that we can see the show. We are 2 adults and a 16 year old. what section do you advised? Also can we do the tour the same day as the show?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Riding School

Yes, I think there are afternoon tours on performance days.

Re. the seating it really depends how much you want to pay. You can book online via the www.srs.at website. They don't have a seating plan for some reason, but you can see one here:

www.austrian-holidays.com/assets/srs_2011.pdf (PDF file)

Level Contributor
542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Riding School

I don't want to spend more than I need to. That is to say, I want a good view, but if I can pay less than top dollar, that would be best.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Riding School

Probably the seats in the long side of the first gallery would be OK for you. There you should have a good view and the price is not too steep. The seats are Category 5 (89 eur each) compared with 130 eur for the top category (front row of the royal box). The seats towards the middle of the long side have the best view, so you can see both ends of the riding arena. At present, the www.srs.at booking site allocates seats 127-129 in that category if I put 3 seats in my basket - those are well-placed, near the middle of the long side.

Level Contributor
542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Riding School

thank you so much

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
712 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Riding School

Hello -- as some of you seem to be very familiar with the Spanish Riding School performance tickets i hope you will be able to give me a hand. We will be in Vienna on Saturday 25th May and see that there is a performance scheduled which is great. I am reluctant to spent too much and am trying to see everything on a budget so i wonder if you would see if category 9 tickets would have a decent view. They are €47 each and are in the higher level at seat number 147 and 148 at the moment on the long side RE. Do you think that we would be able to enjoy the performance from the high level (and maybe at one end - as there is no way of knowing where the seats are in the length. Thank you

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Riding School

I have purchased tickets for a performance on 8 December - paid for the most expensive seat, but the website wouldn't allow me to actually choose my seat. I have Hofloge/Normalpreis VA row 1 seat 8 - is that a good seat? According to the map that another poster linked, it's the yellow row at the top and I'm seat 8 - that's how I read it anyway. I paid 158 euros for my seat, so I hope it's a good one. It's been a lifelong ambition to see a SRS performance!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Riding School

Vicki, that is an excellent seat, front row of the Emperor's box. We were in that row in Dec 2011. You will have a great view of everything.The riders will salute the painting of Emperor Charles VI on the rear wall, so you will feel as though they are saluting you!

I was there for my birthday and it was a life long dream for me also. It was great, so ENJOY.