We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
10 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

Hi

Please can anyone offer their opinion on which museum they would visit if time restricted. I am interested in history and see that there is a military museum as well as the Vienna museum. I don't think I can fit both in (~2.5 days) along with visiting the Hofburg, Schönbrunn, State Opera House and a general sightsee around the Ringstrasse area, shopping streets, oh and the Prater amusement park as we are staying near there :)

I appreciate any comments and if there is anything that I should take out (or spend less time on to be able to fit both museums.

Thanks

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

My choice the Miltiary museum - well laid out with excellent exhibits of various eras-

The building itself very interesting

Tuskish tents and weapons from the sieges of Vienna- World War 1 especially good.

This also was the last official visit of Crown Prince Rudolph before his suicide.

Outside many tanks, track vehicles. Check their website for events - often have special displays or re- enactments.

Easy ride from city center .

Some dining near by

The city museum by Karlsplatz is good but much smaller - more on City events and history.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,849 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

I like both these museums so I reckon the choice will boil down to what you want to see. The Heeresgeschichtliches is, as Vertical says, in a historic building. It is a military museum so if your interest is in military history then it could well be for you. The Wien Museum is in quite a modern building and is about the history of the city from ancient times until quite recently. Very different exhibits - only you can really choose.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

I say see both of those mentioned and remove the Hofburg from your original itinerary. The Hofburg and Schonbrunn are very similar. Then, at the end, if you have time, visit the Hofburg. Have a great trip!!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

If you are in to history, I would skip the Prater and do both. Prater Amusement Park full of annoying teenagers and rusty rides, in my opinion. A walk down the hauptallee, though, is nice in good weather.

If you do have to choose between the two, I would advocate for the Wien Museum over the Military Museum. I have been to both several times and also share your interest in history.

Overall, the Wien Museum gives an in-depth overview of the history of Vienna as well as some nice art. Displays cover all history periods and allow you to imagine Vienna as it once was. The pieces are also English-speaker friendly.

The military museum, while in an interesting-looking building, isn't as friendly for the non-German speaker. It is also very geared towards Austrian military history (no surprise), so if you aren't that familiar with all of the battles, etc, it might not be as relevant as the Wien Museum. Another suggestion - if you do go with the military history museum, make sure you at least stop by the Belvedere on your way there and walk through the gardens.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

I would not agree with the assessment above of the Military Museum.

This museum is known to be one of the better museums of this type in the world.

It is user friendly with signage in various languages and also with audio guides available in various languages including English included in the admission.

The exhibits carefully set by the various times.

Rather than just Vienna, you find exhibits from the 16th century to 1945 regarding the Hapsburg Empire and related european history.

Even info on the former Empire navy.

The setting of the building itself adds to the impression.

much more info at

www.hgm.or.at

look to the photos also interesting impression of the building style and objects.

comparison to the city museum

www.wienmuseum.at

The Prater - just the giant ferris wheel ( Third Man film landmark )is worth a visit- many changes in the Prater to make it more friendly .

If visiting Schonbrunn - consider the combi ticket of Palace admission and ferris ride ticket at the Prater - great savings

www.schoenbrunn.at

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

Thank you all for your comments.

I have decided to spend half a day visiting the Ringstrasse area, the State Opera House and Hofburg (decided not to go inside to give more time for other things), and Schönbrunn (1/2 day) and then on the second day, go to the military museum first and then if time, visit the city museum (although I feel this might be rushed).

I would still like to visit the Prater but I think we will fit this in where we can as our hotel is near there so at least we can quickly visit the Ferris Wheel if time allows.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

I can't imagine spending an entire day at the military history museum. Is that what you are proposing?

You might be interested in having a look at the walking tours suggested on the Frommer's website as a way to see the sights on the Ring and in the Innere Stadt:

frommers.com/destinations/…0068010008.html

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

Ferris wheel is open at night too to maximize your time. It is nice to ride this at night for views and city lights.

Perhaps plan a 1/2 day at the Military Museum. You can always stay longer if you wish.

dining opportunity near the entrance area to allow good flexibility.

Shenandoah Valley...
Level Contributor
189 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

My husband went to the Military Museum and thought it was excellent. Gorgeous and historic building. He spent the morning there and found that to be sufficient.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum versus Wien Museum Karlsplatz

I think a few hours will suffice at the military museum. We are flying out early evening on the same day so if we can fit in both museums with enough time to get back to our hotel to pick up our luggage then that would be great.