We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Airport to Innsbruck via train

OKC, OK
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna Airport to Innsbruck via train

I have 2 to 3 free days, and would like to see the scenery in Austria and travel from Vienna to Innsbruck and back in July 2013 by rail. Do I need to reserve a train ahead of time? Should I reserve it myself or have a travel agency or concierge service do it? Round trip reservation at the beginning? First or second class? Can I leave a heavy suitcase in a locker in the Vienna airport and travel with my light bag? Perhaps I need the 3 days? Any advice you can give me is helpful. Is Innsbruck the place to on the route, or should we stop in Salzburg instead? I'm a musician, but like scenery and music equally. Three days maximum is all the time that I have.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Airport to Innsbruck via train

I would contemplate flying (www.aua.com). Going to Innsbruck by train (www.oebb.at/en) would be cheaper but flying would be way easier. There are many (hourly) trains between Vienna and Innsbruck. No need to book in advance, only if you want one of the cheap fares. Cheap fares come with restrictions though (tied to train chosen, no changes, no cancellation). Basically, reservations aren't required. All trains linking Vienna and Innsbruck pass through Salzburg, so stopping there would make sense.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,510 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Airport to Innsbruck via train

I'd be tempted to go no further than Salzburg which I think will fill your needs better. Innsbruck has a dramatic situation but culturally is not a patch on Salzburg. The mountains round Salzburg are still very picturesque.

OKC, OK
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Airport to Innsbruck via train

Thank you so much!

4. Re: Vienna Airport to Innsbruck via train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 19, 2014