We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21 day trip by train 8 cities.

massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Topic
21 day trip by train 8 cities.

GCEK, Abalada: thanks for your helpful response on the train forum. I think I am all set on trains

I have 21 days Arr. in Prague July 19th, Lv from Amsterdam Aug 10th. I have allocated the time in each city as follows

Prague 3.5 days

Vienna 3.5 "

Innsbruck 1.5 days

Zurich 3.5 days

Bern 1.5 days

Frankfurt 2.5 days

Cologne 1.5 days

Amsterdam 3 days Hope to take a side trip to Belgium

The half days are when I will be travelling 3-4 hrs

My question is have I allocated the time correctly, are some cities more attractive than others, should I even go to Cologne or Bern

I appreciate any opinions from travel experts

Thank you

qquubbic

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,451 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 21 day trip by train 8 cities.

What do you want out of your visit to Switzerland? If mountains and quaint chalets then you are spending too long in Zurich - a fine city but with no mountains (except in the distance) and generally business-oriented. It isn't representative of what most people visit Switzerland for. Also very expensive (as is all of Switzerland, but Zurich especially so).

Likewise Frankfurt - but maybe you work in the financial sector and are going on business ... :)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 21 day trip by train 8 cities.

I agree with GCEK. Zurich is a nice city located in a picturesque setting but there is less to do. I would also reduce the time you have allocated to Frankfurt. Frankfurt is not bad but definitely does not deserve more than a day (incl. the business district).

I would rather embed Berlin than Frankfurt and Cologne. I also miss Salzburg in your itinerary. Is there any reason why you neglected it? I would frankly reduce the number of cities and add some other areas with great nature and smaller towns.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21 day trip by train 8 cities.

Another vote to drop Zurich, or cut it down to half a day. As Mikey says, you're spending a lot of time in cities that are, well, just cities. I too would try to squeeze Salzburg into the mix, and some of the wonderful Swiss countryside instead of cities. A small village in the Bernese Oberland, or Zermatt perhaps.

You're coming a long way. Don't spend your time just looking at cities.

massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 21 day trip by train 8 cities.

Guys, I really do appreciate your input. We are two 60 something ladies, grew up in England, love "the continent" have travelled much of it, but not Germany, Austria, Nederlands. We will probably not be in Europe again, so we are doing 3 weeks by train , hoping to get a flavor of several countries. We are concerned re ease of connections , hotels etc, so we decided to do the main cities. I do take your point, and I will eliminate Frankfurt, and maybe go to Bern, and Basel instead of Zurich, then we will have time to go to Bruge, and maybe Ghent. We are seeing some mountains coming from Vienna to Innsbruck. I will see if we can incorporate Salzburg on the way. Mountains, not so much, Starbucks and the urban cafes yes! I hope I haven't bored you all with this long post

Thank you

qquubbic

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,510 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 21 day trip by train 8 cities.

You girls enjoy yourselves. And you've got years ahead of you to come over again!

massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 21 day trip by train 8 cities.

Norman, Thank you for your encouraging words

qquubbic

7. Re: 21 day trip by train 8 cities.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 12, 2014