We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Transport System...

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
172 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna Transport System...

I have a question. Can somebody put into simpler terms what "an uninterrupted journey" really means in reference to using a single ticket for multiple transfers. I just don't understand. Thank you!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Transport System...

It means that you aren't allowed to "interrupt" your trip for shopping, dining etc. You have to go to "directly" to your destination. Someone could use, for instance, subway U1 to Stephansplatz, then could go shopping for a while and then using subway line U3 to Westbahnhof (West Station). That's an interruption and would require to tickets, because you do 2 trips.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Transport System...

So in Vienna, when you ride public transport you need to stamp/validate your ticket when you begin your journey. Look for blue boxes with slits in them for the tickets. The time/date will be stamped on the ticket. You are then permitted to ride on public transport for an hour (someone please correct me if it is longer). Often, to get from point A to point B, you will need to make a change. For example, you may originate your journey on the U1 line of the subway and then need to transfer to a bus. Assuming that you are still within the hour, you do not have to buy another ticket and stamp it when you get on the bus. In other words, the ticket you stamped when you got on the U1 can still be used on the bus. It is totally normal to need to make a change or two to get from one place to another.

What is not permitted, is to use public transport to get from point A to point B and get off and walk around/sightsee in between. So in the scenario above, if you were to take the U1, visit a site and then get on the bus, you would need to buy another ticket.

I should also point out that the Vienna transport is based on the honor system. No one will check your tickets when you enter the subway, get on a bus, etc. It is your responsibility and duty to stamp the ticket before you ride. Random checks are conducted by public transport officials. If you are not able to show a stamped ticket, you will be fined.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Transport System...

>Can somebody put into simpler terms what "an uninterrupted journey" really means in reference to using a single ticket for multiple transfers.

You need to get from your starting point to your destination as swiftly as reasonably possible. That's all.

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
172 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna Transport System...

Thanks guys! I get it now. So, as long as I am transportation hopping within an hours time to my destination I am ok, right? Example, I need two different trains/trams to get to point B.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna Transport System...

It must be logical way of chaning yes.

Be aware that the fine of a random check and if you dont provide a valid ticket is 100 Euro, If you need to do several trips a day a daily ticket would be better

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna Transport System...

Hi Jessica,

One option to consider that worked out great for my visit there, was the Wochenkarte--Week ticket.

wienerlinien.at/eportal/…-31797

(I'm not sure why they don't show that as an option on the English language version of their website.)

It's good for a CALENDAR week, beginning at midnight on Monday and is valid through 9 AM the following Monday. It allows you to travel on busses, trams, and the U-bahn, and costs € 15,00.

I arrived on a Monday and left on a Friday, so it worked out great for me. But if you arrive on a Sunday and leave on the following Wednesday, it won't be such a good deal. The ticket you buy on Sunday will expire 9 AM the next morning, then you'll have to buy one of their other passes or individual tickets.

I arrived at the Westbahnhof and bought the Wochenkarte at the Wiener Linien information booth at the train station.

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
172 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna Transport System...

i will only be in Vienna for 4 days so I think the week long ticket will ot work for this trip. I kinda feel like single tickets may be the best way to go. I will be staying at this hotel

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190454-d223840…

Once I get to the center I feel like everything will be in a comfortable walking distance , right?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna Transport System...

Hi Jessica,

Your hotel is in a good location and you're right that once in the Innere Stadt, you can walk most anywhere (the "ring" is about a mile across).

Individual tickets run €2,00 each, so it would take 8 rides to break even using the Wochenkarte. You may get to those 8 rides faster than you think:

2 rides to Schönbrunn Palace (there and back)

2 rides to the train station / airport on arrival / departure

...and you're halfway there. Throw in a ride around the ring on the tram as a cheap tour of the city or using the tram or U-bahn to get out of the rain on a rainy day, and you've paid for the Wochenkarte. You may find, too, that even though you can walk a mile or so, you may want to get there faster to maximize your visit.

Sorry.. not trying to be a used car salesman... your vacation and your money. :-)

9. Re: Vienna Transport System...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 26, 2014