We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna in September

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna in September

Staying at Pension Sacher for 6 days in September. Requested front corner room overlooking the cathedral

A few questions.

Coming from the airport, are we better to request private transfer or is the airport bus to the city centre a good option.?Arriving 11.30 am.

Is there a grocery store nearby? We hope to buy Sturm in September.

Would like to travel out to Baden and Gumpoldskirchen. Are we better to hire a car for the day or public transport?

Many Thanks

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna in September

A preordered Taxi is best way.

There is a BILLA in the Ringstrassengalerien, basement and crossing the Ring you fill a Gourmet Spar.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna in September

But not too difficult by public transport. Train S7 from airport to Wien Mitte then subway line U3 to Stephansplatz emerging just by your hotel. Total cost €4 each. Pre booked cab from €29.

Baden and Gumpoldskirchen easy by public transport. U1 from Stephansplatz to Südtirolerplatz. Change to southbound S Bahn train which stops at both Baden and Gumpoldskirchen. I think that would cost €6 each.

Wonder if HuSanNiang thinks you meant Hotel Sacher rather than Pension Sacher as there are closer supermarkets than the Ringstrassegalerien for you.

Edited: 6:12 am, January 31, 2013
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna in September

Billa on Singerstrasse probably the nearest (2 mins walk) or the very upmarket Julius Meinl supermarket on the Graben.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna in September

To cheaply get from the airport to your hotel, you could take the S7 train to Wien Mitte/Landstrasse and then transfer to the U3 getting off at Stephansplatz. Your hotel will be right in front of you. Total cost per person would be 4 Euro. More expensive would be the airport bus, which could drop you off at Schwedenplatz leaving you to walk 5 minutes to your hotel. The most expensive, but most convenient obviously, would be to take a pre-ordered cab.

Grocery stores are everywhere and they tend to be small - look for Zielpunkt, Billa, Spar. Not really the best place to buy sturm, in my opinion. Markets or heurigen are the best place as you are closest to the source and fresh. The groceries mentioned above are close to the Sacher Hotel, but I see you are staying the Pension Sacher, which is in a different location. The two mentioned are still convenient to your pension, but even closer would be the Zielpunkt or Merkur (very nice) at Hoher Markt, the Billa or Zielpunkt on Singerstrasse, or the very upscale gourmet Julius Meinl on the Graben.

Never really a good idea to rent a car to get around the vicinity of Vienna. Excellent public transport here. Are your trips to Baden and Gumpoldskirchen separate, or one trip? If separate, then travel to Baden on the Badnerbahn, a tram which goes from Karlsplatz to Baden.

www.wlb.at

To get to Gumpoldskirchen, you will need to take regional (S-bahn) trains, specifically the S2. You would need to take the U1 from Stephansplatz to the Hauptbahnhof stop. From there you can get on the S2. You can check the following link for schedules:

www.vor.at

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna in September

Yes, there is a new, upmarket branch ('flagship-store') of the Merkur supermarkt-chain on Hoher Markt less than 200 metres from your Pension which might be nice to get some special treats for your holidays.

Edited: 7:31 am, January 31, 2013
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna in September

@ Cherries - I think you must have been composing your post at the same time I had posted, but at least we gave similar advice! For the avoidance of doubt the Südtirolerplatz and Hauptbahnhof stops are one and the same. I always think the Badenerbahn is somewhat slower than the train, but it does have the advantage of dropping you right in the middle of Baden.

@ Nemorino - haven't seen the Merkur store at Hoher Markt yet. We are staying in Schönlaterngasse this year so may look it up. Does it have a premium feel?

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna in September

Small mix up on my side. I would prefer going to Spar over to Zielpunkt.

There is also a Spar at Fleischmarkt and the Billa Corso Neuen Markt 17,

So Merkur and Billa have a stand off at Neuer Mark (-_^)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna in September

Thanks so much for all the excellent replies.

Think the flagship store of Merkur sounds like exactly what we are after

. Need more treats than basics.

Looking at the map , may choose the suggested airport bus to Swedenplatz rather than the underground.Happy medium ,price wise, between the underground and the taxi.

Will chose either Baden or Gumpoldskirchen and forget the hire car.

Thanks again

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna in September

Norman - might be interesting for you to know that all the signage, particularly on the U1 maps and directional signs, for Südtirolerplatz have all been changed to Hauptbahnhof. It's as if Südtirolerplatz no longer exists.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna in September

Sign of the times.