We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Europe open tickets

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sfo
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rail Europe open tickets

I have train tickets from Rail Europe and most (e.g. Prague to Vienna, Vienna to Budapest) are open tickets. I was searching the forums and some say that you have to exchange the tickets for "real" tickets. Is this true for all tickets? How can you tell if you have to exchange them? Rail Europe's FAQ says if you got paper tickets mailed then you don't need to do anything so I'm a little confused. I can take a picture of my tickets if that's helpful.

Can I just hop on any train on the route I'm taking? As I understand, there are different train operators.

(Please don't tell me how I should not to buy tickets from Rail Europe; I already bought them and they were bought with hotel and air together. The prices were comparable and I didn't know where my tickets were coming from.)

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

Tickets are from Rail Europe - question should be asked to them.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,601 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

For anybody else reading this, Rail Europe should never be used for rail tickets in Europe.

Tickets between these cities cost €19 from Czech Railways and Austrian railways, respectively. Rail Europe charges approximately €100 for exactly the same tickets. It is not the operator, just a very expensive reseller. Presumably you can use any train, but you should address your queries directly to them.

sfo
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

Asking on here because it was here (on these forums) where I read of people exchanging tickets. From both Rail Europe and where I actually bought everything, they claim no such thing is needed. I don't understand how European train stations/tickets work so I'm trying to understand.

Don't know how much all the tickets are individually but my whole package was cheaper. One route that I had refunded, was 50% cheaper than buying directly - again, why I'm confused and asking.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

Have you tried to contact those TA members who were posting on these forums about exchanging tickets by private message? They probably (hopefully) have some first-hand experience.

When you say the route you had refunded was 50% cheaper than buying directly, do you mean they refunded you half the price the official railway company running the service is charging?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,930 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

Well, if they have sent you TICKETS, then they should also be seen as such, otherwise they should name it "voucher".

As often mentioned here, train tickets sold by RailEurope (or Eurail) are of poor value. Tickets for the exact same service are (logically) sold by the real railway operators for a (much) lower price. It's like if I purchased tickets from a (fake) company named AMERICARAIL instead of dealing with AMTRAK.

If you still have doubts upon arrival in Europe, you can ask the staff at the train station.......

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

Depending on your travel arrangements you may still need to make reservations for certain trains, particularly if any of your journeys involve French trains.

Canberra
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

I am planning to travel europe over a month in Sep and was looking to buy eurail tickets - 765 euros each after 15% group discount. does that mean I shouldnt buy that but buy as I go around europe? I am little confused. As i thought 765 euro for a month was ok. Can somebody please give me little direction.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,930 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

I suppose you are talking about a pass?

Is it really a full month or do you have just a number of days within a month?

A pass' value ultimately depends on your travel activities, an assessment thus is not as easy as with point-to-point tickets. But in most cases they do not pay off either!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

Search Trip Advisors train travel forum for everything you need to know about RailEurope and passes. And it's also best to start a new thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rail Europe open tickets

>765 euros each after 15% group discount. does that mean I shouldnt buy that but buy as I go around europe?

No, it does not mean that. It means that you should plan your trip and buy tickets well ahead of the time to use discounts. After all you dont walk up at the airport and buy tickets for a flight leaving in 2 hours, do you? Long distance trains in many countries work in a similar way.

>I am little confused. As i thought 765 euro for a month was ok.

OK for what? Spending several hours in a train every day? Yes, I guess it would be a good deal for you. Getting on a train a few times to move from one base to another? Then it is a horrible deal.