We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna State Opera seating advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna State Opera seating advice

Following advice on posters on here me I am going to watch La Boheme in late April. However I am just trying to work out where to sit in the Opera House. I don't want to buy very expensive tickets, but I also want to guarantee a decent view of the stage.

Am I right in thinking any seats in the balconies at the side is going to have a slightly restricted view?

Also in the balconies, is there a reason why the seats in the second and third rows are so much cheaper than those at the front? Are views obstructed by the people sitting in front, or by pillars?

If it helps explain what I mean a little, a seating plan is here: …viator.com/graphicslib/2322/SITours/maps/vi…

Edited: 7:13 pm, January 10, 2013
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

You are right, the further a seat is on the side of the auditorium, the more restricted the view. On the Balkon and Galerie, if you have a centrally located seat even in a back row, the view is generally good. Obviously, in the center of the first row Balkon or Galerie, there will definitely be an unrestricted view.

The acoustics is even better on the Galerie in my opinion. Of course, you can always have bad luck and a very tall person (or a lady with a very tall hairstyle) is sitting in front of you but that can happen even if you have very expensive seats in the stalls.

I see the seating-plan you are using is from a travel agency and doesn't show the official zones. Presumably they also charge way more than the official prices.

Do try to order your tickets online directly with the Staatsoper to avoid an unnecessary extra-fee. Take advantage of the standby-ticket reservation as discussed on this forum recently, seems it worked out well for those who tried. If it doesn't work out, can still buy tickets from agencies with a sur-charge.

The official seating plan and instructions to order can be found here:

wiener-staatsoper.at/Content.Node/home/ticke…

Edited: 5:26 am, January 11, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

Many thanks for your helpful post.

Looking at the seat plan for L'ELISIR D'AMORE on March 8th, a similar priced show to the one I wish to watch , do you think the view from the 90 and 70 euro tickets look decent? Ideally I don't want to pay over this.

Sadly I can't cut and paste a link to the seat plan on here as tripadvisor doesn't allow that sort of link.

Edited: 1:34 pm, January 11, 2013
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

I am sure tickets at that price will have a great view. I usually pay less than that and get a good view. Only time I got a bad view was when only €10 tickets were left for a performance - I should have known there'd be a catch!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

I think the 90 and 70 Euro categories will be fine. For the standby-tickets, there are a lot of options you can select. You might want to exclude seats in lateral boxes (a few of the 90 Euro seats are in the first row of the highest lateral boxes just below Balkon). While boxes # 6 or # 7 should be fine (and maybe nicer than the seats on Balkon or Galerie), you might want to avoid boxes # 1 to # 4. Also, try to exclude the seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows of the most central boxes. In my opinion, view isn't perfect because people are sitting in front of you in spite of your elevated seats and acoustic is bad in the back of the box.

Edited: 1:43 pm, January 11, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

Thanks for your help. We will go with a 70 euro ticket I think.

Suits appear to be mandatory I take it? (Am not a big fan of wearing suits!).

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

Not mandatory. Smart casual would be OK. I'm next over in May and doubt I'll bring a suit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

Would smart jeans and a nice shirt be ok then? I don't want to look too out of place!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

You do see jeans though I wouldn't personally wear them. If they were very dark, especially black, they wouldn't stand out as much as if they were faded blue and/or ripped!

Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

I will be attending the same performance! Very excited (after Donizetti last night at the Met). I booked through the official site and it was fairly simple and they allow for you to be quite particular about where you will sit.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna State Opera seating advice

Concerning the attire, you can certainly get along without a suit. I'd try to dress as dark as possible in order not to stick out. For example, black (dark) jeans and a light black (dark) V-neck pullover over a nice shirt should be fine.