We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

Each year I like to visit different cities/towns in Europe. I have no idea where to go next and would like to get some opinions. I would like to go to somewhere new. I am SO confused where to go, even after reading all of my DK Travel Guides, so I am turning to the advise of my TA friends..

If it helps, my favorite cities are: Venice, Paris, Prague, & Florence. I love architecture and art (not modern though), I am a photographer, I love cemeteries (monumental type with beautiful statues), and shopping (I am not a big shopper, but do like to wander past shop windows and stop in if anything interests me. I like old world charm and good food.

Also: If you had the choice between going to Romania, Spain, Scotland, Switzerland, or England...which country would you choose and why?

It may help to name where I have been:

Austria

Belgium

Croatia

Czech Republic

France - Paris / Lyon areas

Germany - Southeast

Hungary

Italy- All but the Southern part

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,071 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

It's not clear whether you're thinking of going to Vienna or just asking in this and other forums which of your list of countries to choose. Could you elaborate?

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

Sure. I have been to Vienna, Salzburg, and Hallstatt. I am looking to go somewhere else. Just not sure where. So, I decided to post this in the countries I liked to see if they had opinions.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

Andalucia, Spain (Grenada, Cordoba, Sevilla); Slovenia (Piran, Ljubljana, Bled, Ptuj); Croatia (not sure where you have already been; Istrian peninsula, Dubrovnik, Plitvice Lakes, Zadar); Barcelona & the Costa Brava.

Edited: 1:57 am, December 22, 2012
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

I only spent a day there, but Geneva, Switzerland was a very interesting and photogenic city with its architecture, shopping, and being right on the lake.

It was terribly expensive, however, and I'm sure it's only gotten more so since my visit in 2007.

Another, smaller city that I only could spend an afternoon in was Luzern--I have that on my list of places to return to and see more of. Luzern has about 80,000 residents, so it's not a huge city.

Interlaken is small (pop. 6,000), has the Grand Hotel, and is a jumping off point for the Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen, and Grindelwald.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,071 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

I'd second Seville. We were there this September and it was great. And, of course, I'd have to put a vote in for the UK. London and Edinburgh are fantastic cities!

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

What about Ukraine ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
798 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

I'm suprised to not see London on your list Architecture is there and you should read about the Brookwood Cemetery ...... it is a relatively unknown gem of UK history ... with it's famous Funeral Train ... Highgate Cemetery etc.

London is your big omission it seems.

Edited: 1:19 pm, December 22, 2012
Goderich, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

Luzern and Lauterbrunnen were my favourite. We took train from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen and than the bus to the trummelbach falls.. We toured the falls than hiked back the few miles back to Lauterbrunnen. It is so beautiful walking back along the hiking trail with the mountains around. My son and I had our backpacks with us but I would advise leaving luggage in locker at train station as they did get heavy half way back.

Oostkamp
Level Contributor
246 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

Maybe Normandy in France, for the wwII cemetries. For shopping and art (new and old)= Istanbul!

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help, experienced travelers...where to next?

I am with the others…London is a MUST! Your camera will get tired!

I know you said Southeast Germany, so I’m assuming you’ve been to Munich. But have you been for Oktoberfest! September 2013 is coming up, it will be the 180th Oktoberfest and the time to start planning was 2 months ago…haha. But seriously, if you are thinking of going, get your hotel NOW.

Interesting fact…..I went to the 200th Oktoberfest in München in 2010….and I’m going to the 180th Oktoberfest in München in 2013. Make sense to you?? It does to me.

But where ever you decide to go, I’m sure you will see something amazing.

“Don’t tell me what a man says, don’t tell me what a man knows, tell me where he has traveled.” ~ Anthony Bourdain

PROST!!