We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wien Hauptbahnhof

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Wien Hauptbahnhof

Vienna's new main station looks like it will start operating a very limited service on 9 December. For visitors this will mainly affect those taking trains to and from Bratislava. Would the Hauptbahnhof be the mot convenient place to catch Bratislava trains?

We used to advise people to take tram D from the centre to the Südbahnhof to get these trains, but I don't think the proposed extension of line D into the Hauptbahnhof is completed yet. I presume subway line U1 to Südtirolerplatz will be the best way to reach the Hauptbahnhof until then. Can anyone confirm this? And does anyone know what facilities will be open initially at the station (manned ticket office, shops, buffet etc)?

Some Bratislava trains stop at Wien Simmering which could be easier to reach and/or manoeuvre.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had used Wein Hauptbahnhof since it started operation. What are the transport links like there into the centre of Vienna? Earlier posts mention getting subway line U1 there but which stop on the U1 is closest to Wein Hauptbahnhof? Just trying to work out how to best get from Bratislava to the Schottentor subway stop (U2).

Many thanks in advance!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

I believe that you can exit the train from Bratislava at Stadlau, a stop on the U2 line. This would be much easier for you - perhaps someone can confirm this.

Otherwise, the U1 stop at Südtiroler Platz/Hauptbahnhof is the nearest stop on that line. Tram lines D, O and 18 also goes to/near the Hauptbahnhof as well as Bus 14A.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,471 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

Yes, trains (leaving from Bratislava's main station hlavna stanica hl.st.) call at Wien-Stadlau where you can easily change to subway line U2.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
718 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

It's funny that Vienna Tourist Office does not consider Hauptbahnhof exist. They still call Südbahnhof. They call Hauptbahnhof as a future central station...

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
864 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

I traveled through Hauptbahnhof recently and it was quite convenient. Tram D already stops there, however note that stop of D tram is on the opposite (eastern) end of the platform while for other connections (subway U1, S-Bahn S1/S2/S3, other trams and buses) you need to take western (main) exit. All connections are within convenient walking distance, even U1 station.

For trip to Bratislava, leaving from Hauptbahnhof brings you advantage of more connections - you can take either train to Bratislava-hl.st. or to Bratislava-Petrzalka, whichever comes first.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

Thanks yale999. The construction of the station still continues - not all the platforms and canopies are yet built. What facilities were there?

And thank you for updating the arriving and departing pages. Some of the information on there had been allowed to get well out of date!

Edited: 7:19 am, December 30, 2012
Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
864 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

In operation there are two island platforms (tracks 9+10 and 11+12) S-Bahn trains S60 and S80 stop directly at platforms 9/10 of Hauptbahnhof, for S1/S2/S3 there is separate underground station close to Suedtiroler Platz with connector (underground corridor) to U1 station. Platforms are quite long and divided into lettered sections, so position of train is indicated by combination of number (track) and letter (or more letters for longer trains), e.g. 12AC - where A starts on the side of Suedtiroler Platz entrance - where there are ticketing facilities, waiting space, some small bakery, toilets etc. The eastern entrance on the other end of platforms (only for D tram) has only some ticket machines.

Canopies above platforms are pretty impressive, giving the place air and space, they are especially nice when you watch them taking escalator to the platform and see as they unveil above you. I think it is also quite easy to navigate, having quite logical and simple functional setup. Nice.

1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to go to Bratislava from this station or not? I am planning this trip on September

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

Yes it is. Buy the ticket on the day (€15 return)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Wien Hauptbahnhof

As GCEK says you can go from Hauptbahnhof, but read answer no 1 above for other options.