We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip advice-biking from melk to krems

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
doylestown pa
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
trip advice-biking from melk to krems

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the great advice on this forum!

We will be arriving from Brussels by air for a three night stay in Vienna in May, really two full days. We are a young 50ish couple with a 21 yr old daughter who is studying in Belgium this year. We are staying at Pension Christina.

I just want to know if I have ridiculously overplanned. Thanks.

So here is the plan so far:

Arrive around 8pm. Maybe go to the Prater, and then have a beer in the area, or maybe go to a wine garden.

Next day, take the tram for an overview and then visit the old town sites, and St Stephensdom. We have tickets for a concert at Hofburg that evening.

Next day, take the train to Melk, visit the abby, and rent and ride bikes along the Danube to Krems, possibly sampling some local wine along the way!

Does anyone know how far it is from Melk to Krems--how many miles, or kilometers? My husband is quite a long distance biker, but I am a recreational rider. Can anyone estimate the time the trip would take--I know that is individual and I am sure we want to enjoy the beautiful scenery.

I really would like to visit the Musik Museum that evening as well. I know its a long day, but I think the museum is open until !0pm that night.

Thank you all for your excellent advice.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip advice-biking from melk to krems

I would recommend a heurigen rather than the Prater your first evening.

Perhaps a nicer introduction to Vienna.

The Bike ride Melk to Krems is not that far. perhaps 20- 25 kilometers 12-15 miles.

But this is an easy trip naturally downhill the entire way on a dedicated and paved bike path. You will see many fellow bikers from 5 years old to 90 - usually a happy flock of people all enjoying the many perfect views of the area. The best side for the ride is the left side across the river from the Abbey.

I highly recommend this nice trip.

It is no problem for a recreational bike rider.

Friends of mine went from Spitz to Krems in 35 minutes recently.

Please stop at one or more of the little local places and sample the wine. This really helps to make the journey easy and you meet and see interesting people. Plus the wine is very good.

I assume you refer to the Haus of Music- open until 10 I think- plus a nice restaurant on the top floor.

doylestown pa
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip advice-biking from melk to krems

Thank you so much, vertical!

I assume we can rent the bikes somewhere near the abbey and return them in Krems before returning to Vienna on the train. Is that correct?

And heurigen sounds great for the first night.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip advice-biking from melk to krems

In prior years you could rent bikes at the train station in Melk and return them at the train station in Krems.

An ideal situation.

I had heard the the Austrian Rail service might stop this service as part of their cost- cutting measures.

But I was in Spitz last week ( first stop for tour boats downstream from Melk ) and saw many bikes at the train station there.

The sign " Rad Verleih" Bike Rental in german was displayed.

So I know they rent in Spitz- assume in Melk also.

I will check to be sure and repost as soon as possible.