We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Stadtbeisel

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hebron, CT, USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Stadtbeisel

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the Restaurant Stadtbeisel is still open on Naglergasse? Last time I was in Wein it was a really nice 'traditional' restaurant, and served great goulash in little copper pots heated with a small tea-light.

Any information??

Thanks.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Stadtbeisel

first you come to Wien and not Wein and 2nd there are many threads with recommendations . Please use the search first.

Hebron, CT, USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Stadtbeisel

Hi,

Thank you for your helpful reply. I will be more careful with my typing in the future.

However, unfortunately there are not many threads with recommendations for this restaurant, as you will discover if you try a search. That is why I am asking the question in the first place.

As you are a 'Destination Expert for Vienna', perhaps you can tell me if it is still open?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Stadtbeisel

I had a look online and it looks like Stadtbeisl closed some time ago and the site in Naglergasse is now occupied by the Altstadbraeu restaurant. I've eaten there a couple of times and found it expensive and not very good (cold soup!)

It's a shame - the Stadtbeisl goulash sounded great!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Stadtbeisel

Unfortunately the Stadtbeisl closed years ago- 7+ years-

Supposedly the building owner wanted a huge rentasl increase.

The building was idle for a number of years.

One place opened after making considerable renovations including newn stairway to the lower level. It was a disaster- curtailed their hours and finally failed.

3+- years , the new place Roley described above opened with a varied menu.

I agree thaat food quality does not reflect pricing.

Several meters toward Graben on Naglergasse is Hopferl - food at a fair price and an ok atmosphere - this a sister restaurant to the Bierhof just beneath it.

www.bierhof.at

Hebron, CT, USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Stadtbeisel

Thanks for the real answers!.

Tempus fugit. It was a nice, 'old school' restaurant, and the goulash was exactly to my taste. Rich, round flavor of paprika in a thick sauce and the beef was soft and almost falling apart. The little copper cauldrons were a nice touch, too.

I will have to try and reverse engineer it!

Cheers.

6. Re: Restaurant Stadtbeisel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 30, 2013