We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Salzburg

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Vienna to Salzburg

Hi,

I am going to Vienna in about two weeks, I would like to know if I want to go to Salzburg, should I take Rail Europe or Westbahn?

My hotel is located at Paracelsusstr. 9, A 5020, not sure which one will be closer to my hotel.

Thank you,

E

1. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:33 am, October 09, 2012
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,803 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

There is no such operator as Rail Europe - there is an extremely expensive re-seller of that name, but it should not be used under any circumstances.

Westbahn gets my vote - €25 and you pay on the train.

All trains go from Hauptbahnhof (main station) in Salzburg.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

The two rail operators are OeBB (Austrian Railways) and Westbahn. I gave you links to their websites last time you asked. As GCEK says ignore Rail Europe completely or you'll probably pay twice as much as you need to!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

I am sorry, I was not able to find my previous post. so that's why I asked the question again.

I didn't know I can pay on the train and don't need to buy the ticket in advance, I thought it's like the transportation from Salzburg to Prague, which I should buy the ticket beforehand.

Thank you,

E

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

Only on Westbahn can you pay on the train.

To find previous posts click on My TripAdvisor at the top right of the page.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

Hi,

Thank you very much for the tips about Westbahn. Could you please also tell me whether it's a long line up to get the ticket at Wien Westbahnhof? I know I can pay it on the train, just want to check how early should I go to the train station.

Or I should simply buy the ticket online first, so that I don't need to be rush.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

Not a long line, but you would want to be at the station say 30 mins before departure. But on Westbahn there is no line as you pay on the train so 15 mins would be ample.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,803 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

From Salzburg to Prague get the Westbahn to Linz which is €9 - again on the train. From Linz to Salzburg get the bus - this should be done beforehand www.westbus.at - €19

Or you can get the 1410 OEBB train from Salzburg, change in Linz - cost from €39 from www.oebb.at but this will cost a lot more if you buy on the day.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

GCEK - did you mean the bus from Linz to PRAGUE?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,803 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna to Salzburg

Yes - got carried away there ...