We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera Underground toilets, total rip off.

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Opera Underground toilets, total rip off.

Just returned from a lovely day trip to Vienna. Spoiled by the 'scam' which is taking place at the Underground music toilet next to the Opera House. Customers deposit correct coins into the turn style and try to enter but gate doen't open. A woman dressed in 'muslin' veil appears and gestures ( no attempt at any language) that you have not put in the correct coins but does not attempt to rectify the problem. but demands more money before the gate will open..

In the five minutes I was there this happened on four occassions thus my estimate is that they are making at least 50euros per hour easily!!! What a rip off, especially as the toilets at the Albertina Museum just round the corner are free and much cleaner. Help stop this scam, don't use this toilet.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera Underground toilets, total rip off.

There are many free toilets and some priced with 50 Cent in Vienna

So nobody has to go there.

Here a list for all districts (German only)

www.wien.gv.at/umwelt/ma48/sauberestadt/wc/

derzeit geschlossen means closed

Edited: 2:24 am, September 07, 2012
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera Underground toilets, total rip off.

The Opera toilets replaced ones that were free (at least for men) several years ago. I've never used them as the lure of being serenaded by grand opera whilst sat on the loo has never appealed to me. But lots of tourists do seem to fall for this "trap". But the demanding of money over and above the advertised price is a new one on me. Maybe you should send an email to the city authorities making them aware of this. If you are certain you definitely put the correct amount in in the first place then this is theft and that is intolerable in a city like Vienna which is generally "scam free".

3. Re: Opera Underground toilets, total rip off.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 09, 2013