We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Christmas Time

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna Christmas Time

I am thinking of visiting Vienna around Christmas time. Any suggestions of things not to miss, please? What is best to do on Christmas eve and Christmas day? What about restaurants on Christmas eve and Christmas day? Thanks

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,849 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

This is quite a popular time to come and similar questions have often been asked and answered on here. Use the search box above for the term "Christmas" and you'll get lots of advice about what to see before and over Christmas. Here are a couple of recent threads to start you off:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k56…

Edited: 3:47 am, August 29, 2012
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

If you want to see the Christmas markets you need to go before Christmas itself, as most will close by Christmas eve. Basically a Viennese Christmas trip falls into two distinct parts - either you go for the markets before Christmas itself, or you go for the run-up to New Year, after Christmas, when there's a lot of music on and then the party for New Year's eve. Hotels etc are much more expensive for the latter period! I usually stay for both, but if you want to save money you can go say, 20-27 Dec.

Shops are closed on Sundays and public holidays (and it's possible many shops will be shut on Christmas Eve morning this year, since it falls on a Monday). However, many museums and tourist sights are open on Christmas eve morning and through the day on Christmas day. I always find something to do! The theatres are closed on Christmas eve but most have performances (sometimes matinees) on Christmas day. Public transport runs throughout the holidays, even on New Year's eve, so you can get home from parties on the Ubahn or tram!

The tourist information website posts a list of restaurants open on Christmas eve and Christmas Day, and New Year's eve and New Year's day, early in December. Someone always posts a link on here so you can come back then and check. Normally it's advised to make reservations for dinner on Christmas eve and NY eve.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,849 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

......... and here are a couple of threads to start you off:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k57…

Tel Aviv District...
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

wat do youumean by writing 'for the run-up to New Year, after Christmas'? are ther ant markts opn atte christmas?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

aziat --

Perhaps you should reread the comprehensive discussion at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k5610…

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,849 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

... which you were very much a part of!

Malta
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

Thanks a lot for all your replies ... good to know about restaurants that open on christmas eve and christmas day :)

Malta
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

Is it worth visiting the Danube Tower?

I will be in Vienna for 3 full days in December (Christmas week), are there any places you suggest visiting?

What about public transport on Christmas Day and Christmas eve?

Thanks

Wendy

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

My opinion- Danube Tower is not worth a visit - not in best location to reach via public transport-

with so much to do at this time of year- your time better spent elsewhere.

Public transport will still run- more interval time between individual transport

Malta
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna Christmas Time

Thanks vertical

I have now drafted a plan for visiting Vienna: Though I mentioned a lot of museums and places it does not mean we are going to enter them all, but we might pass by most of them. Are we missing on something really important? Are we doing too much? Which days can we make on foot? When do we need to take bus/underground?

Day 1

evening

Christmas Markets: Maria-Theresien Platz, Spittelberg, Rathaus

Day 2

Hofburg Palace

Austrian National Library

Cafe Mozart

Vienna State Opera

Karlsplatz

Graben

St Stephen's Cathedral

Ankeruhr Clock