We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duration of Stay

New York
5 posts
Save Topic
Duration of Stay

Hi, we can't decide whether to spend 2 or 3 days in Vienna- we like to have very busy days, and we're on somewhat of a budget. How many days do you think are needed?

Second, one of the days will be Sunday- are places (shops, museums, sites) generally open on Sunday?

Third, if we spend 3 days there, we are considering one of those boat cruise excursions of the Wachau Valley. Do you recommend this? Or, is there anything else you'd recommend doing a bit outside of the city?

Thank you very much!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Wachau Valley
Wachau Valley
353 Reviews
Joching, Austria
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duration of Stay

Any major european city is worth a 3 day visit or more in my opinion.

In Vienna, almost all shops are closed on Sunday.

Museums, tourist sites are open.

Some museums are closed on Monday.

I always recommend the Wachau.

I assume you mean the combination train to Melk- Melk Abbey visit- boat trip down the Danube- back to Vienna. tickets 39+euro inclusive

Melk is not that far from Vienna. this trip permits you to see a completely different look of Austria and is a fun day.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Melk Abbey
Melk Abbey
2,217 Reviews
Melk, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
New York
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Duration of Stay

Thanks for all your help!

Harleysville, PA...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duration of Stay

I suggest the three days.

If you enjoy classical music the Musikverein and the Konzerthaus have afternoon concerts on the weekends. Most museums, etc. are closed on Monday or Tuesday and are open on the weekends.

I agree with the posting concerning the Wachau Valley/Melk Abbey trip, it's very good. In the warm months the river cruise is part of the package, in the winter it's strictly a bus tour but still worthwhile. If it is the bus tour you will probably get to see Durnstein castle where Richard Lionheart was held prisoner (if you are on the cruise you will see it from the river).

My family and I very much enjoyed the Vienna Woods/Mayerling tour which includes Holy Cross Abbey.

As I usually travel on a tight budget I can report that Vienna is excellent value for money among major European cities. May I make a few suggestions?

- Take advantage of the superb public transit system. Your hotel can probably sell you a Vienna Card (16 Euro, last time I got one) which is good for 72 hours unlimited use of the transit system and offers discounts to various attractions and shops.

- If you plan to have your main meal at lunchtime and lighter fare in the evening you can save quite a bit and still eat well. Most restaurants will have a daily fixed price special which is usually a good value.

- The wine taverns in the Grinzing section can be reached by tram. Some offer buffets which are a good value, wine and music is included.

- If you are adventurous a day trip to the Slovak capital of Bratislava is fun, I suggest that you take the train (use the inexpensive regional line). Keep in mind that you will need to change money, as Slovakia does not use the Euro.

Mentioned in this post
Musikverein
Musikverein
945 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Wachau Valley
Wachau Valley
353 Reviews
Joching, Austria
Melk Abbey
Melk Abbey
2,217 Reviews