We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna train station & directions

Vancouver
12 posts
Save Topic
Vienna train station & directions

Hi all!

I'm travelling by rail from Prague to Vienna on April 11th. Its my first time travelling to these parts and would like to know what train station I'll be arriving at. (I understand there are a number of rail stations in Vienna)Are there ATM machines at the stations? And lastly, what would be the best way to get to Hotel Am Augarten. Directions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna train station & directions

Hi!

As you can see at http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

your train will start in Praha hlavni nadrazi (main station) or Holesovice. It will end in Wien Südbahnhof. At the moment, there's a detour because of floods, trains will be delayed with about 50 mins.

(This is what the information in German says).

ATMs (in Austria called "Bankomat") are everywhere! Many of them at rail stations!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna train station & directions

Most trains from Prague arrive at the Sudbahnhof ( South Train station) It is best to check this as soon as possible

austrian rail website

www.oebb.at

No easy way to the Hotel Augarten in the 2nd district.This is not really a convenient or best location in Vienna. The hotel probably offered cheap rate due to its location.

If you have heavy luggage take a taxi- probably 10-15 euro fare.

You can also go by public transport ( ticket for one ride is 1,50 eur).

But I would buy a 24 hour ticket or a 3 day ticket as you will need it during your stay.

Tickets are available at machines in the station.

While this hotel is not too far from the Prater ,all tourist sites, the city center, good restaurants and shopping need a ride on the U- bahn - Line U-1 from the Prater or streetcar 21 near to the hotel which will leave you at Schwedenplatz.

From the Sudbahnhof you have several different ways by public transport.

1,Take streetcar D to the Oper stop - then transfer to subway U-1 to Schwedenplatz - then transfer to streetcar 21 that will leave you on the street close to the hotel.( Heinestrasse)

With luggage - not too easy.

2. walk from the Sudbahnhof to Sudtirolerplatz ( 5 minutes ) take U-1 to Schwedenplatz then 21 to hotel.

3. Take streetcar O from Sudbahnhof to Praterstern then streetcar 21 to hotel( be certain to get 21 in the direction of Schwedenplatz if you use this option )

All routes probably 25- 35 minute ride.

Most all stations have ATM machines.

If your train comes to the Franz Josef Bahnhof you actually have an easier way with public transport - streetcar 5 to the Prater then the 21 as mentioned above.

Enjoy your visit.

Vancouver
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna train station & directions

Thanks RobbiAustria & Vertical for your replies. Another optional hotel is Falkensteiner Hotel Palace. Is it closer to the railway station? Looking for a place both easily accessible from the train station, tourist sites and of course, the airport. Have an early international flight out at 9 am. Thanks a bunch!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna train station & directions

Hotel Prinz Eugen is across the street from the Sudbahnhof - the closest hotel-most convenient. An Ok hotel just for one night.

Easy access to the city center with streetcar D.

An airport bus runs every 20 minutes from the Front of the Sudbahnhof- trip to airport is about 25 minutes

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna train station & directions

Hotel Falkensteiner Palace is much easier to reach from Südbahnhof. Just hop on Bus 13A (runs every 3-5 mins.) to "Magaretenplatz", from there it's just 5 mins. walk.

Get your ticket before you board the bus at ticket machines. Busses are all low-floor, space for luggage/wheelchairs/buggies at the 2nd (middle) door. You can enter a bus/tram at any door.

Vancouver
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna train station & directions

Thanks again! I've booked at the Falkensteiner instead.