We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Riding School

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MrD
UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Spanish Riding School

Going to Vienna in May and was hoping to catch the Performance on 14 May.

Just wondering how long each performance lasts and also if we book standing tickets do you get a reasonable view.

Many thanks

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Riding School

The performance lasts about 1hr 20 min or 1hr 30 min. Standing room view is not too bad though it's likely to be quite crowded in May so it's worth getting there early to get the best places (I think they open the doors about 10.20 or so) I think you get the best view about midway down the long side of the school, more or less in line with the pillars (you'll see what I mean when you go in there!) You can either stand in the gangway or on terraced platforms behind that and if it's crowded you might find the view better if you get a place on the first row of one of the terraces(as well as being more comfortable as you have a railing to lean on).

Alternately you might splash out a little more on a seat in the 2nd gallery - higher but not a bad view, and much, much less crowded as there are no standing places up there.

Rol

MrD
UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Riding School

Hi Rol

Many thanks for your reply - very kind of you.

I don't think I could stand that long so I guess I'll just have to book some seats.

Thanks again much appreciated

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Riding School

Is it worth stopping by the Spanish Riding School in July when there are no performances? I realize there is a museum, but will we be able to catch a glimpse of the horses as well?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Riding School

Guided tours (in English) of the riding school and the stables are available in July - but I'm not quite sure just who you will find resident in the stables at that time of year! I think most of the horses are shipped out to the Weinviertel for their summer holiday but you may find one or two miscreants left behind ...! The tours are interesting and very informative and you do get to see the horses close up.

R

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Riding School

Well, Lipizzaner miscreants are better than no Lipizzaners! Thanks for the advice.