We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public toilets?

Oregon
Level Contributor
564 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Public toilets?

Good day to all.

I don't wish to be "indelicate" with this question, but how easy is it to find a public toilet (I'm assuming they are usually pay toilets, that's not a problem) in the central area of Vienna? Are there certain places with good facilities that would be handy to know about, but might not be obvious to a non-local?

For various food and medicine reasons, purchasing something at a cafe in order to use the facilities is not an option for one member of our party. And of course, we all know to use what's available at museums and restaurants. It's the "insider" tips I'm most interested in.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Public toilets?

Vienna municipal website with locations of public toilets:

wien.gv.at/umwelt/…index.html

Under "Bezirksübersicht" click the number of the district you are interested in for a list and map of locations. (The Innerestadt, or center, is the first district.)

The one on the Graben is very close to Stephansdom.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public toilets?

There are definitely public toilets on the Graban by St. Stephan's. I used them frequently when I am in Vienna. I can't remember the cost - maybe like .50 Euros.

I don't want to get in trouble for saying this, but you can also use the toilet in any McDonalds. They used to have a code on the door but wasn't in active in the Schwedenplatz McD's or the one off Kartnerstrasse when I was there in April. I don't make a habit of doing this, but if it's an emergency, then I will. You can always buy a bottle of water instead of food, if needed.

Have fun in Vienna!!

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public toilets?

Big shopping malls and shops have clean toilets like

Mariahilfer Strasse C&A (30 Cent), Leiner (top floor), Gerngross (2nd or 3rd Floor) and nobody is asking a question

I guess there is also one in Steffl (Kärntner Strasse)

Also in the Ubahn/Underground stop you will find toilets

Oregon
Level Contributor
564 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public toilets?

Thank you everyone. This is very helpful.

Are the Ubahn toilets safe and relatively clean to use? Sometimes these types of facilities are not so nice in other cities. Or they are often locked up.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Public toilets?

This site tells you about smartphone apps and has an interesting historical perspective:

wieninternational.at/en/content/tour-des-toi…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Public toilets?

And finally, on this interactive map of Vienna:

http://www.wien.gv.at/stadtplan/en/

Under the last category, Clean City, check the box for "Lavatories," click the arrow at the end of the word, and the map displays three icons for different types of facilities.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,681 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public toilets?

I would use restrooms in subway stations only if really necessary. Some restrooms along the new subway line U2 are actually pretty nice. At ÖBB train stations you also find restrooms - the ones in the recently renovated stations such as Wien-Praterstern and Wien-Heiligenstadt are actually okay. Public restrooms which are staffed can be used without problems as the staff keeps the facility clean.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public toilets?

Do most museums have public restrooms before you go thru to the exhibits?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public toilets?

yes -

the need is universal

You also find public facilities by some main streets-

example - those underground on Graben the pedestrian shopping zone in city center

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public toilets?

Austria is not a third world country. You will find toilets in more or less all public buildings apart from churches.