We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing between a hotel and apartment

Westside
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
choosing between a hotel and apartment

I am looking for accommodation in July for three 21 year old girls. They are all students but like to travel to beautiful cities in their summer vacation, but they have not got loads of cash ! This year they have chosen Vienna.

I have looked at two options that are within their budget, can anyone comment on pros and cons - accessibility, availability of supermarkets nearby so they don't have to spend their time in restaurants - and general attractiveness of the area.

Hotel Caroline: Gudrunstraße 138, 10. Favoriten, 1100 Vienna

or

Rental Apartment Mollard

Mollardgasse 20

I do worry about apartments because of the possibility of turning up and finding it does not exist, but this is through Venere and sounds like it is genuine.

If you can suggest any alternative then I would be very grateful

Thanks.

I

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

My office is very near Gudrunstrasse, the same street as Hotel Caroline. It is probably the most unattractive area in all of Vienna. Not familiar with Mollardgasse, but looking at the map it is a better location to sights, interesting neighborhoods, etc.

Westside
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

Thank you, the apartment is slightly cheaper too.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

Try Apartments Augarten: http://www.apartment.at/eng/apartment/66

We have stayed there and they are very nice. Beatrix is a great landlady and easy to work with. There are many markets nearby for food shopping. Ubahn station is right in front of the apartment building so they can be in City Center within minutes.

Westside
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

I have contacted them to see if they have anything available. Thank you for the advice.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,645 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

I think an apartment is a great idea. If you were going down the hotel route it might be worth looking at Wombat hostels. Their newest and best situated property is Naschmarkt where a three bedded en suite would cost about €30 a night each. Great atmosphere for young people.

http://www.wombats-hostels.com/vienna/

Also look at Pension Kraml which is always well recommended on her and does an en suite triple room for €87 per night.

http://www.pensionkraml.at/EN/index.html

Westside
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

Well thank you for all of your advice. \we have secured an apartment in the 4th district for less than the hotel, it looks really near to the centre and very near to transport links. It says that it has a terrace and the photo looked very nice, but I have been to too many hotels to believe every photo that you see. However I can see that Vienna has many apartments and they do seem genuine.

I will try to get the girls to give feedback on their return (not until July)

Westside
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

Just to thank everyone. The apartment was a great success, it was in the Belvedere area and central - within walking district of everything, but it was so hot that the girls used the excellent public transport frequently. I was pleased to hear that the quality of the apartment was good and the one small problem they had (not being able to turn on the cooker) was quickly resolved (the landlord came round and showed the switch). It worked out much better value for them to have the apartment. It was cheaper than the cheaper hotels and of course they did not have to spend their student money in restaurants.

Now I want to go to Vienna.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

Good to hear!! Of course the 04th district is the best (hahaha because it is the district I am living in ) Now it is your turn (^_^)

Edited: 1:39 am, July 12, 2012
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

I didn't know that apartments are cheaper than hotels! Great!

10. Re: choosing between a hotel and apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 17, 2013