We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Vienna to Bratislava

Vernon Hills...
Level Contributor
142 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Vienna to Bratislava

Hello! I am in Vienna at the moment and wish to travel to Bratislava for the day. I found the info regarding the 14€ ticket but had a couple questions... Where do you buy this ticket from? I assume it's at the station. Which station in Vienna do you depart from? And from what I understand, this ticket includes all local travel once you arrive in Bratislava. Is this correct? Thanks for the info.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,011 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

Yes, that's correct! The 14€ Bratislava Excursion Ticket can be bought from ÖBB ticket vending machines as well as staffed counters. Trains to Bratislava depart from the East Station (formerly East Wing of the South Station). There are two different lines to Bratislava. One goes North the Danube and terminates at the Main Train Station of Bratislava (hlavna stanica), while the other one remains South the Danube and terminates at Bratislava-Petrzalka, a train station in the South of Bratislava. From both it is easy to reach the city center. From Petrzalka take, as far as I remeber, metrobus #91 (take the pedestrian tunnel!). From the main train station you can take a tram or a bus (check routing!).

By the way, trains taking the Northern corridor can also be boarded at Wien-Simmering Station which is connected to subway line U3 (orange line). Depending on location in Vienna this could be more comfortable. Train times can be found here: www.oebb.at

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vernon Hills...
Level Contributor
142 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

Thanks for the info Mikey.

One more question... we were considering taking the twin city liner back from Bratislava since we have not and will not have time to do a Danube cruise before we leave. I saw it is 31€ per person. I have read there is not a whole lot to see on this portion of the Danube. Is this true? Would it be better to just take the train coming back as well if we are buying the 14€ Bratislava ticket?

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,653 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

You're right, this is one of the less interesting stretches of the Danube. You'd be wasting the return portion of your train ticket AND would have to pay an extra €29 or €31 each so I guess you'd have to really fancy a fastish trip on the water for it to be worthwhile.

Drogheda, Ireland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

We are arriving in Vienna on 06/09/12. We are staying in Bratislava but want to spend some time in the old town in Vienna when we arrive. What are are best options for getting from Vienna airport into the old town, later in the day from the old town, Vienna to Bratislava, and from Bratislava to Vienna airport on 09/09/12? There are 6 of us.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Bratislava
Bratislava
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,785 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

First make sure you are flying into Vienna and not Vienna (Bratislava) :)

Vienna airport is well on the way to Bratislava anyway so I suggest you make your way straight to Bratislava from there - there are regular buses straight from the airport. If there are 6 of you this will logistically be easier.

As there isn't a great deal to do and see in Bratislava itself, and a lot to do and see in Vienna, the next day you should make a day of it and get the train - €14 return which includes a transport pass for the day in Vienna. Trains go hourly from either of the two main stations, but at the moment Petrzalka is probably easiest to reach - buses go from underneath the bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Bratislava
Bratislava
Old Bridge
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

How long is it from Vienna to Bratislava. I was planning to make the trip next summer by train. Please advice. Thanks. My name is Angel.

Edited: 9:20 pm, November 14, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Bratislava
Bratislava
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,785 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

About an hour.

Waterford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

Hi GCEK, how can I find out what the train stations are between Vienna and Bratislava? I was not able to locate a train timetable. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Bratislava
Bratislava
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,785 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

www.cp.sk (English bottom right)

It only stops at some Viennese suburban stations and a couple of villages on the way.

Edited: 6:45 pm, January 19, 2013
Waterford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Vienna to Bratislava

Thank you for the quick response. I still could not tell the names of the train stations between Bratislava and Vienna!

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria