We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Salzburg

rockville
Level Contributor
238 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Salzburg

We're interested in a day trip to Salzburg on Good Friday.

Would reservations for the train be neccessary?

I've read several different opinions on the boards, with most saying not neccessary unless a holiday. Not sure if that applies to Good Friday, the week before Easter.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Salzburg

Good Friday is not actually a public holiday in Austria, only Easter Monday. So from that perspective, you might decide to chance it, especially if you're not travelling with luggage on a day trip so you can march up and down the train looking for seats if need. But coming back in the evening, you might encounter the holiday exodus in one direction or another as people go away for the long weekend. The reservations aren't hugely expensive (about 3,40 euros per seat) so I think on the return leg of the journey at least, I would reserve seats.

Rol

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
rockville
Level Contributor
238 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Salzburg

thanks.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Salzburg

Schools in Austria close for Easter Holiday on the 8th of April.Thus most families will have already traveled to or from if they had travel plans.

Friday is probably safe to travel without reservations.

Also, trains leave about each hour on this route- so much capacity.

Not having reservations gives you more flexibility for travel times during the trip to and from Vieena.

However, as Roley said , reservations are not expensive and can be eliminate any concerns.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
rockville
Level Contributor
238 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Salzburg

Thanks Roley and Vertical. As usual, a great help.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Salzburg

Definately not more than 2 or 3% of the seats on this route are reserved. Just be at the station in time, it's no problem to get a seat.

rockville
Level Contributor
238 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Salzburg

Thanks. I think I'll take the chance, and buy at the station.