We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoking.

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
smoking.

Having came from a country that has a smoking ban I was in shock at how many people in Vienna & Budapest who smoke.

I never really noticed how heavy people smoked until this years visit to both countries

We were having a meal while watching the world cup in the summer stage and the woman next to us must have smoked 16 ciggies within 2-3hrs! everyone seems to put a ciggy out then automaticaly light another..... everyone seems to smoke.

How funny that only the British and Americans who seemed to frown apon it, I think it must be due to us having a ban or non smoking in any areas with a roof.

So many stunningly beautiful girls in Budapest and Vienna but so many with heavy discoloured teeth due to their heavy smoking.

Is there any pressure from your government/ health dept to encourage people to cut back or stop or do you think my country (scotland/uk) is just too strict?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,180 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smoking.

The government(s) here have been too lazy and too economy-focused in the past decades. While I am against a total ban, I admit that smoking here is a severe problem. I am a "part-time" smoker what means that I only smoke in bars, clubs and restaurants (where allowed). I do not smoke at home, at my office, at university and when waiting for the bus like others do. For me it is a real disturbance when people start smoking next to me in the "real" public. The law has recently been amended and is now stricter.

Vienna, Austria
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: smoking.

Since the 1st of July this year a new regulation concerning smoking in restaurants, bars a.s.o has come into effect in Austria. Now the gastronomy locations have to offer seperated rooms for smokers and non smokers while saloons with a size less than 50 m² are allowed to choose if they are a smoking or non smoking location and have to declare their "status". We will see how strictly contempts will be punished!

Meanwhile there has been a (slowly) rethinking of the smoking Austrian population but it will traditionally take its time to get all measures implemented.

Greetings from Vienna

Isabella

WienInfo/ Tourist Board

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,598 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smoking.

I thought a similar law was already in effect before that date, but was widely ignored by the owners and the authorities. Not sure what's changed!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoking.

A short overview of the austrian "smoking ban" in theory:

1.1.2005: smoking prohibited in all buildings that can be entered by the public, except if there is a side room which is totally seperated and has a closed door. For example: Authorities, Offices, gas stations, railway stations, airports, cinemas, shopping malls (incl. the gastronomy)...

1.1.2009: smoking prohibited in all gastronomie outside of buildings that can be entered by the public. Only exception: establishments up to 49 sqm can decide by thereself or there is a seperated smoker's room.

A smoker's room has to be a side room which is smaller than the main room, there has to be shut door and no smoke must leave the room.

1.7.2010: The exception for establishments to install a seperated smoker's room ended. Only establishments which applied at the authorities to install such a room (as fast as possible) before 2009 were allowed for this exception.

Fines: for the owners of establishments up to € 10.000, for smokers up to € 1.000.

That is, what the theory says! The reality is different! Austria is a smokers paradise with one of the highest smokers rates in the world (as far as I know Guiness Book of Records said: Number One), the starting age is 11, second hand smoke is not known by the majority of people.

The law is not enforced, you will find people smoking illegaly everywhere and most gastronomical establishments do not obey the rules.

Police and authorities do not enforce the law, the citizen has to make a complaint to the authorities... then there is usually no action at all or a ridiculous fine is set (in Vienna for example € 110 in the last year, the fine is set months later).

One can only hope that people rething the issue, especially the non-health-minister and that a total smoking ban is comming. I can't see any problem why a smoker can not have his cigarette outside, which has been the standard in most european countries for years.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: smoking.

One more: at least there is now a campain, set up by austrian citizens, for a total smoking ban. I hope that many non-smokers and tolerant smokers sign it.

No wonder in a country, where the minister for work is smoking at a ball, beside it is strictly forbidden. The ball was a charity called "Dancer against Cancer".... a real shame but no problem in Austria. There is much to do!

Edited: 1:20 pm, July 16, 2010
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smoking.

Thanks for all the replies, how interesting all your responses are.

Here in Scotland we along with Ireland were one of the first European countries to have a smoking ban, we were the trial countries I believe.

The change is amazing,not only have many people stopped but you can now enjoy food without a cloud of smoke covering your meal and going home without your clothes and hair smelling of smoke, although there are still plenty of people who smoke outdoors, in doorways of bars and restuarants. Many bars have smoking outdoor areas with heated patios etc.

I have a 16yr old daughter and she can't remember people smoking in restaurants etc and due to the Scottish Governments campaign of showing images of the extreme effects of heavy smoking I think they look apon it in disgust.......Vanity is everything at that age and I do believe this is the area they have decided to use to hopefully target teenagers.

I am not for a ban completely as I believe it is up to each individual but I hate the thought of being forced to inhale someone elses smoke, it's one thing getting the odd wiff of it but another thing when people in all directions of you insist on smoking so much in such a short time.

As you can probably tell I am an ex-smoker......although I was a part timer, only had a sneeky one (often pinched from a friend) after a few large glasses of wine.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: smoking.

We were also very surprised at the number of people smoking during our travels in Austria last year. We still have plenty of smokers here in Australia, of course, but with increasing bans on smoking in hotels, restaurants, practically any enclosed area etc, no smoking allowed in most workplaces for a number of years and so on, it honestly wasn't something I thought about at all when we were planning our trip. Thankfully the new regulations had already started to come in by the time we arrived in Austria, so we had no problems in the hotels we stayed at, restaurants etc. We were astounded though at the sheer number of people who smoked in public places - walking around Schonbrunn Zoo, there were people blowing clouds of smoke everywhere - and usually all over their children as well!! We did a lot of walking in various cities and towns in Austria and a real concern was the number of families we saw with young teenagers where Mum, Dad AND the kids were all smoking as they walked along. We also travelled everywhere by train, and waiting on the platform could be quite unpleasant as everyone madly puffed away to get that last ciggie in before they got on the train - we usually had to seek refuge in the tiny glassed-in non-smokers area!

It really was quite a shock - we'd never been to Europe before, and as I said, we never even thought about the smoking situation being any different to the way it is here in Australia. Something I'll have to remember to keep in mind when we're planning our next overseas trip, as we're looking at going to Japan - and apparently there's very few smoking bans in place over there yet!

Edited: 4:03 am, July 17, 2010
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: smoking.

I am slightly worried about encountering unwanted smoke for an upcoming trip to Austria but was glad to hear there are some smoking bans. I'm passing up a trip to China this fall because I've heard the smoking there is horrendous...

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smoking.

I can only speak about Hong Kong which has much tougher laws then Austria

and I was never disturbed by smoke. .

About Vienna, before going to a restaurant, please check if you see a green or red smoker sticker. If it is RED only it means it is a small restaurant and smoker.

If you see Red and Green it means it has 2 sections.

If you see green only it is a 100% non smoker restaurant.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: smoking.

Thanks HuSanNiang, I never even noticed or knew about this sticker. Next time I will look out for it.