We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advent concerts in Stephansdom

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Advent concerts in Stephansdom

www.kunstkultur.com/index.php…

this sounds wonderful.

Can you tell me, please:

Do you think it would be possible to pay at the door or do I need to get a ticket in advance?

Will it be Very Cold in the cathedral?

thankyou!

Alice (starting to get excited now)

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

Visit soon - bring as much money as you can. Our newspapers report that the past weekend was not an extra good one for them.

Shoppers are not spending that much.

Please do your best to help this situation.

Happy to see you like the little restaurant on Naglergasse- a good place- much better since they have enlarged it.

But now the front of the building is covered in scaffolding- be careful when you visit.

Stop at the Cafe Weimar also

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

Thanks for the tip about Gasometer, Vertical.

It's the architecture of the place that (mentally) interests me - I'm no architect but I love to see big, industrial structures, especially when they are still in use. When you're inside them, can you tell what you're inside or could it be any old mall?

Thanks for the foodtips, Roley. Fantastic looking menu. It kind of defeats my vocab., personal, bookly and online. At the moment I fancy the healthy option - only, what is Zander again please? followed by the poppy strudel. Yum! More questions (you know me and pre-worrying by now) does one order dessert at the beginning of the meal or after the first course(s)?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

Yes, I think I'm doing my bit for the Austrian economy ;) But the shopping is much better than the UK so everyone's happy!

As for food-ordering in cafes and beisl, no problem; you can just do it the usual way of ordering first the savoury course/s and then later ordering the sweet if you still have room (and in Frauenhuber, you definitely won't!) If you order a set menu of course they bring you everything on the trot. I love the way in Hopferl, just as I am guzzling down my last spoonful of Leberknoedelsuppe, they whisk the bowl away and dump course no. 2 in front of me. The venison steaks there are deeeelish! And ooh, the pumpkin spatzle baked with cheese in Frauenhuber is not so dusty, if you can't face goose.

Sometimes it is a battle of wills to get your pud - in some places in the Tirol I had to ask for a separate pud menu and it was hard to catch the waitresses on the wing. But the service is rather more attentive in Vienna, it seems.

The Mohnstrudel is nice in Diglas - but I recommend their Mohnapfeltorte which is pretty much the same thing only with apfel to make it moist. That is Quite Healthy - but sinfully delish! Slaver!

And yes, Vertical, Weimar is on my List of Things to Do - I'm dying to try the Schafkasesuppe!

xr

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

Oh and Zander is pikeperch - according to this v. useful online dictionary:

http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/

I don't like fish so I never bothered learning the vocab for that :) Except I know Lachs is salmon.

r

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

Regarding Gasometer-

yes, it is an interesting sight as you go to and from the airport.

Unforunately inside you could be in any mall - no real note of the old structure unless you look closely or walk near the movie complex.

It was a good idea to attempt to save these historic structures, but it did not turn out too well.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

Just done a Duh about the socks? Why on earth would I buy UK socks for a Viennese winter? So part of my Thursday trip is now sock-shopping. Classy, what?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

To save yourself having to do anything so mere as sock-shopping in Vienna?

Actually I do buy socks there - for my fibre-conscious father: he has poor circulation and must wear wool so I buy the pure wool socks and stockings from the Loden stores. There's a nice one on the Michaelerplatz, Loden Plankl, that does the business - I plan to get some felty slippers there, since I have rechristened my flat "Siberia"!

In Salzburg the Christmas market has stores selling Loden clothing so maybe you could pick up your socks while trawling the markets? :)

I am pea green - you'll be there in a few days won't you? aaaugh! I have to wait 2 and a bit weeks! Don't eat all the goose before I get there!

xr

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

In 42 hours, God willing!

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Advent concerts in Stephansdom

Flight in 4 hours (pray the plane up), update in 4 days!