We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
322 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

better. Every time I go to buy tickets on line I get so confused about what I want and I just give up.

I need to better understand size, beauty, type of music, class of talent, how hard it is to get tickets, what to wear there... for the major venues.....

Also in your opinion what is not to be missed Sept 19-21?

About two weeks before we leave and I just can not believe that I keep changing my mind on this....Can you help?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

Ooh, Roley loves a mission! I'm not surprised the ticket sales thing is proving difficult - I am always getting stumped by culturall.com but let's see what we can find in the schedules ... realizing of course my taste is pretty crude anyway.

I think either you can continue to do battle with Culturall or you can take the easy route of trying a ticket agent. I have sometimes used Jirsa and their service is fine - and sometimes the markup is worth the reduction in aggravation! Their site can be accessed here:

http://www.viennaticket.at/english/

Looking at the events database

www.nethotels.com/events/english/events.asp…

I offer my gratuitous opinions so:

OK. Monday 19th - Sound of Music at VO or Guillaume Tell at the SO. Not very rivetting. Or a concert of ancient music at St Ruprecht's which I quite fancied (for that I guess you would buy tickets at the Church)

Tuesday 20th - Merry Widow at the VO - highly recommended! or Rosenkavalier at the SO - that would be nice too.

Wednesday 21st - members of the Wiener Philharmonik playing stuff I have never heard of (told you I was ignorant) at the Konzerthaus (www.konzerthaus.at) ... ooh, Carmen at the SO! I would deffo go for that. Sound of Musik on again at the VO.

If it were me, gormless colonial person as I am, I would probably go for the ancient music, the Merry Widow, and Carmen.

Looking at the ticket situation for the two last ... there looks to be plenty of seats left for the Widow - I like the parkett seats best. For Carmen, not good - only some of the most expensive tix left. Jirsa has some seats for Carmen too but at that markup you might as well pay full whack for first category seats direct from the SO.

Right! to order!

Konzerthaus and Musikverein both have English language sites so that makes it easier. Culturall.com is trickier but possible if you follow these not-so-simple steps!

This version of the Culturall site

https:/…

allegedly lets you do bookings in English. Let's have a gander at that... if you choose a venue from the drop down box on the left side and click "View Season Schedule" eg. Volksoper it takes you to a month-by-month schedule page ... so click September ... roll down, to for example 20th Sept and click the tiny "ticket sale" link under Lustige Witwe ... then in the next page it takes you to, click "advance booking" ... ah! we arrive at a seating plan.

On the right there is a drop down menu "free places at price:" which lists all the available seats. So you might choose, for eg. 50 euros seats in the Parkett row 7-12 and it will display the available (coloured) seats ... where upon you can click on the ones you fancy and they will be marked with an X ... and then scroll right down to the bottom and click "purchase".

It then shows you the details of your order and invites you to choose method of delivery = selbstabholung (you collect them in person). Then click payment/confirmation ...

You are then presented with a page inviting you to register as a customer (with a username and password for future ordering). Though it doesn't say it I think this page is secure, according to the page properties. You only need one payment method of the four options they give you -(credit card, SET payment, prepaid or paybox). I use credit card for mine.

If you go ahead and complete all that and make the payment, at the end of the process you get a "receipt" with your "Abholcode" - booking registration number. You can print this page out and front up at the ticket office before the performance to pick up your preordered tickets, showing them this receipt.

Well that was very longwinded but I hope it answers some of your questions - let me know if you had something specific to ask!

rol, notorious online booker!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

While I agree with the advice from Roley about music choices during the time you mention.make purchase eays and just call the box office directly to purchase tickets. No need to follow all those directions.

look at available seating chart - then just call 011

43 1 5131513

from the USA I think 011 ( for international line ) 43 ( Austria)

1 5151513

This one number will work to order both Volksoper and State Opera tickets. Just give them credit card number for cost of the tickets- they will give information for picking up tickets.This saves the trouble of working online.

Look at the ticket section on- line for information about location and price of tickets to make it easy to order.

www.volksoper.at

www.staatsoper.at

you can get both in english!

They are open 10 Am to 9 PM Vienna time. I think you are about 7 hours later in time.

Order as soon as possible to be certain to get tickets.

The standard at both places is very high. Talented casts, beautiful houses. Generally ,the audience is knowledgeable and not afraid to show their unhappiness if the usual standard is not reached. Thus , a good standard is maintained.

Large subsidies from the government provides a stable environment for these venues,

They are relatively small , about 1000-1200 seats -usually filled

Look to prior posts for what to wear!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

Are you telling me, Vertical, that the people in the ticket office speak English? And all this time I've been busting my chops writing them laborious emails in German - and tremulously addressing them in German when I go to collect the tickets! Those sneaky devils! Well, I guess it did me some good - and probably gave them a few laughs along the way!

r

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

Sorry to spoil the little Vienna secret!

Now I know why they laugh so much in that office!

Only Joking!

Most appreciate it when people try( well spoken or poorly) to speal German.

Unfortunately not enough try to learn even elementary words It is greatly appreciated when an attempt is made.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

Thanks vertical and Roey....I'll buy tickets by Monday evening!

Vertical what would you say are the "most elementary words" one needs to speed in German? I wonder if my phrase book is lacking!

Gail

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

Roley:

Very glad to hear the ancient music concert at Ruprechtskirche is worthwhile; I've got that on my agenda for Tuesday night (September 13).

How much of a walk is it to Ruprechtskirche from the Schwedenplatz? I got some ticker issues so I'm thinking I might need to spring for a cab.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

In my opinion- most important

Thank you---Danke

Please -------Bitte

Yes-----------Ja

No------------Nein

Hello---------Guten Tag ( sometimes in the country-Gruss Gott)

How much does this cost? Wieviel kostet das?

( W is pronounced like a V. V like a W)

Do you have a vacant room?-- Haben sie ein zimmer frei?

I have a room reservation-- Ich habe ein zimmer reserviert

Key-- schlussel

Toilet---- W/C or toilette

Men- Herren

Woman--- Damen

Entrance- Eingang

Exit-------Ausgang

Help---hilfe

Call a doctor-- Holen sie einen Arzt ( Arzt is doctor)

Asking for check in restaurant-- Rechnung, Bitte ( Rechnung is the check or Zahlen Bitte-- ( check please)

Normally your waiter will not present the bill until you ask for it

If you do not ask, you may sit there a long time

Most phrsae books should have these and much more!

Not in the phrase book but can be a

problem for first time travaler.

When in an elevator. The main or ground floor is marked " E" or perhaps " O"not 1 or one. your second floor(2) would be marked as our first floor(1)

Time is on a 24 hour basis. Thus 18:00 is 6 PM etc.

Hope this helps a little!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

Yes, Vertical, I *thought* they were exceptionally cheerful in that ticket office! ;) Service with a smile all right!

And I look forward to hearing what you think of the ancient music, ttlms! St Ruprecht's is very close to Schwedenplatz (literally a five minute toddle at the treacle-like speed with which I walk) but I think there are some steps you need to climb to reach it from the canal side as I recall (just before you reach Marc Aurel Strasse, up the Ruprechtssteige - yes, steps!) It's quite a hilly part of town and there are odd flights of steps in a number of the streets. In good repair and not enormously long (say, San Francisco style!) but they might be an issue for you. A better route might be if you go up Rabensteigegasse (entrance one block past Rotenturmstrasse on Schwedenplatz) and then take the first right into Seitenstettengasse and go up there with the church to your right as the road bends - I don't think there are steps on that. But if you don't want to chance it there is a cab rank at the bottom of the Rotenturmstrasse where it enters the Schwedenplatz so you should be able to pick one up there if need be.

Enjoy yourself! Oh, and while I remember - you or one of your party might be interested to hear that the Spanish Riding School are resuming their morning training sessions a week earlier than scheduled, on Tues 13 September, after they cancelled their performances in Innsbruck (drat!) so it will be possible to see the Lipizzaner in the riding school (if anyone is a sad horse nut like moi!) I've just rearranged all of our schedules to accommodate that and my travelling companion is Somewhat Cross!

xr

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

The most liberating phrase I found in my phrasebook was

'Entschuldigung, mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut' (Sorry, my German's not that good).

Sounds daft when I say it but because I'm a linguist by training (French and Russian, with a side-order of German) I always used to panic or duck out of situations where I thought I wouldn't cope. I always felt really guilty or really stupid if I didn't know what to say.

Then this wonderful phrase! I only had to use it twice - once when someone was trying to beg off me in the street, and once in the lift in the Karlskirche, when this charming young man, the operator, said something along the lines of 'Finally we're getting some sun after all the lousy weather we've had' - and, frustratingly, I couldn't think of a response. I can do grammar, provided you don't mind me taking an exuberant stab at genders, it's normal, human small-talk that escapes me. Clearly I need a sabbatical in Wien.....

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roley and other experts help please I just need to...

If anyone is interested in poker, here's a useful phrase I picked up from a poker site:

how can you raise with that garbage = Wie können sie mit solch einem Müll erhöhen?

:)