We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hours in Vienna with 2 children

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
10 hours in Vienna with 2 children

Hi everyone,

We will be in Vienna on August 23 for about 10 hours - a layover on the way from Chicago to Russia. We are bringing our two kids with us - 6 yo and 8 yo. I was in Vienna last year and know the city pretty well but I am not 100% sure on what to do with the kids. I was thinking Stephandom (sp?) and Pratter (sp?). Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hours in Vienna with 2 children

Prater will be good for kids - the Stephansdom is nice but will really depend on how well your kids appreciate gothic architecture!

There's certainly a wide range of things to do in the Prater with roller-coasters and thrill rides as well as the famous big wheel and more sedate rides. The funfair is only a tiny part of the park, and there are plenty of "park" type things to do as well, with slides and climbing frames and what have you. You can hire bikes (or those pedaled 4-seat things with the canopy) to get around.

There are restaurants there too, including the famous Schweizerhof where they can get "real" potato chips cooked freshly to order.

Vancouver, BC
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hours in Vienna with 2 children

A 10 hour layover might sound like alot but it's really not when you take transfer times into account. The airport in Vienna is a fair distance from the city. If you take the airport bus in, it stops at the Hilton across from the Stadtpark. If the kids are very tired and time gets limited you could simply take a stroll through the park and catch one of the trams that go around the Ringstrasse to give them a glimpse of the architecture - they may even find a few places that they'd like to explore with you. If they're wired and you can find your way directly to the Prater, it's certainly a good option for burning off some energy.

Good luck and enjoy!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hours in Vienna with 2 children

The airport bus no longer stops at the Hilton for many months. This stop is now near Schwedenplatz.

Prater is a good place for kids- also the zoo at Schonbrunn- not far from the Subway U-4 that will take you to and from Wien Landmitte- the terminus for the airport train.

Chicago
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hours in Vienna with 2 children

Thanks everyone for ideas! I can't believe it is raining AGAIN in Vienna. Last year we were in Vienna for a week .....well, it rained for a week. I guess it is just our luck!

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 hours in Vienna with 2 children

If your children like classical music (and I hope they do) maybe the Haus der Musik would be a good trip.