We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna For 2 Days

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna For 2 Days

Will be in Vienna for first time but unfortunately only have 2 days. Can anyone who is very knowledgeable on Vienna give me some recommendations on what I MUST see and what I can maybe pass on this trip due to limited time. It will be in July and arriving by train. Thanks in advance for your response.

Olderbet

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

MUST SEES:

www.karlskirche.at

www.kaisergruft.at

www.khm.at

www.stephanskirche.at

www.akademiegalerie.at

If you have extra time:

www.wiener-staatsper.at

www.hofburg.vienna.info

www.wienmuseum.at

Just in case you like butterflies: www.schmetterlinghaus.at

vienna
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

I always recommend that visitors first make a round trip of the famous Ringstrasse on the streetcars #1 or #2. This takes about 20 minutes but offers a quick look to the main part of the city , many famous buildings and allows the tourist to quickly learn much of the city and assist later in sightseeing.

These lines run in opposite directions circles the Ringstrasse and delivers you back to your departure point if you wish.

The most visited sights in Vienna are the Hofburg Palace and Schönbrunn Palace , an easy trip from the center by UBahn - subway U-4.

The Hofburg was the palace of the Emperors and Empresses-

In the same complex you will find the Trasury( schatzkammer) Spanish Riding school, Augustiner Church, and Albertina museum.

Thus you can make good use of your time as all are within 5 minutes walking distance of the other.

Just across the Ringstrasse from the Hofburg , you will find the Fine Arts Museum ( Kunsthistorisches Museum and the Museum Quarter. If you enjoy great and varied art - worth a visit.

Note the Fine Arts is open thursday evenings if you are in Vienna then and permits good use of limited time.

Most like to visit Stephansdom - St Stephans Cathedral.

I would also recommend a walk along the pedestrian streets of Graben and Kohlmarkt. Tis can begin at Stephansdom and end at the Hofburg.

Interesting buildings, shops and monuments.

Numerous cafes if you wish to stop for a drink and pastry. Pastry and a cafe are must dos in my opinon when in Vienna.

Each like different things but the butterflies would not be on my list of must sees.

Schönbrunn - the summer palace with its many different style rooms is most enjoyable. Beautiful gardens allow for a peaceful rest.

The Schönbrunn zoo also good ,but I would not use your valuable time unless you are with children.

This visit may take about 1/2 day

Depending when you visit in July , you may wish to vist the area of the Rathaus ( City Hall ) in the evening.

An international food court and evening of free music on the giant screen can be enjoyed - many enjoy this and it allows a little enjoyment at a cheap price.

for good information about the sightseeing , descriptions , opening hours etc. go to

www.info.wien.at

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

Thanks to both of you for your responses. It is going to be rough to cover in 2 days but will give it our best shot.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

Vertical,

One more quick ? Do you think we really need to buy tickets in advance for the Schoenbrunn

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
40 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

You don't need to buy tickets in advance for Schonbrunn. I just spent 4 days in Vienna and there's just too much to see in 2 days. Schonbrunn alone takes half a day AT LEAST but tickets can be bought there and then. Get the 'classic tour' ticket as it covers the Gloriette and the maze in the gardens, along with extra rooms in the palace you wouldn't get with a standard ticket.

With just 2 days, I'd start in the city centre itself, st Stephansdom Platz. St Stephan's is open to the public and you can stroll on in. Then walk up Kohlmarkt, just down the road and you reach the Spanish Riding School. Through the archway, you come to the Hofburg Palace. It's an absolute MUST just to behold the facade! Passing the Hofburg, you come to the two identical mirror museums, of natural history and fine arts. Again, it takes a good half day if you want to go into even ONE of them, but the facade is something to behold. Turning right there onto the Ring Road will take you to the Parliament and the Rathaus, well worth seeing, but I wouldn't other going inside. If you double back toward the Hofburg again and keep going, you'll reach the Opera. If you have a free night, go to a performance by the Hofburg Orchestra...the tickets can be bought 1 day in advance as we did, within the archway to the Spanish Riding School. Vienna is the capital of true music!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

Thanks SQKHOO!

Olderbet

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

Thank you all for your advice, as I will also be in Vienna for 2 days, and was searching for a post just like this!

I have one question....the first evening I am there, we are thinking of going to a Mozart concert in the festival hall of Musikverein.....on September 5th. Any thoughts on this? (The opera performance was sold out...)

vienna
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

Look to the Volksoper - performing La Traviata on September 5 tickets in most price categories available.

www.volksoper.at

good conductor too

in my opinion much better than the mozart concert that is aimed to the tourists - but in a perfect venue.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

just go and enjoy, not obligate thing to see cause there are so many thing to see. just go and enjoy. volkssgarten is recommendable and ring by train nr 1.

10. Re: Vienna For 2 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 30, 2009