We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Paris - by train or plane?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to Paris - by train or plane?

Hi. I'd love any advice on travelling to Paris from Vienna. We have enjoyed taking trains so that would be my first preference. Do you know how long, approx cost and if we have to change trains? Or do you think that a plane ride would be easier/ more economical?

Thank you for your help,

B

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,039 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Paris - by train or plane?

At least one transfer necessary! Taking the train to Paris is not recommendable anymore, as the plane is much faster with same or even lower prices. Plane needs 90 minutes while train takes at least 12 hours.

www.flyniki.at (CDG)

www.skyeurope.com (Orly)

For return travel also suitable

www.aua.com

www.airfrance.com

England
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Paris - by train or plane?

I think it depends on how long you are staying in Vienna. I visited in January for 3 days and used the plane as the timings of the flights were such that I arrive in Vienna in the morning. I am going back for 4 days in July and am using the train, partly because the flight times have changed on I would not get to Vienna until 3.30pm on the day of departure and would have to leave on the Friday by lunchtime, and partly because I thought the train and viewing the countryside would make the journey part of the fun, going from London to Brussels, Brussels to Cologne, this gives me 4 hours to explore Cologne catherdral, and then the night train to Vienna, arriving at 08.32 in the morning, I then leave Vienna on the Friday at 8.40 in the evening, using the night train again back to Cologne on to Brussels at back to London. get to see the countryside on both journeys. I agree it's quicker, but you can't see much at 22000 feet. It may be once undertaken I'll wish I had taken the plane, but I think it should be good fun. By doing this I have four full days in Vienna where by plane from where I need to fly from, I would only have 2.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Paris - by train or plane?

Hi Mikey and Scopsowl,

Thank you so much for your pts of view. Since we're staying in Frankfurt for a bit and doing day trips to Cologne, etc.. we may just fly then. Thanks for the airline info, Mikey. You've been so helpful in other posts. I really appreciate all your invaluable help in planning my family vacation. We're spending more time in Germany, Austria and Amsterdam. Florence and Prague will have to be next summer....

Thanks again,

B

4. Re: Vienna to Paris - by train or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 28, 2009