We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

Hi all,

As you can tell from my previous posts, I am coming Vienna in a few weeks (super excited). I just have a question about using a cell phone there. I have 2 cell phones that are originally from Europe (the ones I use when I go back home to Finland) so I am hoping I can use them. Can I buy a SIM card from over there and then minutes or how does it work? How much are the SIM cards and where can I purchase them? How about minutes?

Thanks for all your help, you guys are awesome!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Europe
Europe
World
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

Hi windvalley,

yes you can use them. As far as I could find out it works like this:

first you go to either an electronic shop, or cell phone shop or Merkur or Hofer (supermarkets) or a post office and buy an initial sim card from one provider. These range between 14,99 and 19,99 € and do not need a contract. They usually already include lots of free minutes though I would suspect only for calls within Austria. If calling abroad they will probably be converted automatically into fewer minutes. You also get a phone number with this so you can be called. That is free as long as your sim is valid.

Then when you have yoused up the minutes coming with the initial sim card, you go to the same places plus tobacconists and buy a prepaid card (Wertkarte) and with that you get a code that you input on your cell and that adds as many minutes as you bought.

I think the main ones are Yesss (really 3 s, no typo), Bob, Günta. Aminute inside Austria is somewhere around 6-7 eurocents.

Hope this helps and is more or less understandable. If not just ask away.

TT

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

No trouble to find many places that sell sim cards-

As you probably already know the cell phone ( here known as a handy ) operate on different frequencies here from those found in the USA.

If the phone you bring is from Finland frequency should not be a problem-

If you have a cell phone in the USA and it is a tri or quad band phone - check with your carrier you may be able to use it here . Saves some rouble. This may not be a costly issue if you only plan to use it in frequently.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

Thanks for your replies! Yes I plan to bring a phone that is originally from Finland. I will use the phone to call my mom (so we can figure out the logistics while in Vienna) while she is at her conference. I also plan to receive calls from Sweden, I believe they are free in Europe, correct? In the US we have to pay for incoming cell phone calls as well :(

You guys are by far the most responsive and helpful crowd I have had on any TA board, thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

You're welcome. Yes incoming calls are free. Unless you leave Austria and someone calls you on your Austrian phone. The reason being that you can't expect the caller to know you are abroad.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,940 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

There's a decent chance that your Finnish phones are locked to the original phone provider, in which case the Austrian SIMs might not work. Have the phone store check that first.

If they are locked, it's also pretty reasonable to actually purchase a phone there, too.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

How much are phones, if we have to purchase one once we come over there?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

Without a contact, quite pricey, around 100€. But there are little electronic shops where you can get your mobile unlocked for about 10€ or try to google your mobile brand plus unlock, apparently some can be unlocked online. Your provider in Finnland might also be willing to unlock it. Not sure how this works though cause I've never done it. The mobiles you have would only be locked if you purchased them as part of a contract with a provider, so if you didn't don't worry.

Sorry, I'm not an expert on this one, hope it helped anyway.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

Thanks for the reply. The phones are my sister-in-laws and I believe she didbnt have a contract in Finland (it isnt very common to have a contract). So the phones should work fine. Thanks!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

If you have a NOKIA you can easily unlock it by internet. You just state the serial number and the network it is locked for.....

www.entsperren.at

If it is unlocked you may use it for all Austrian networks with the exception of DREI (Hutchison 3G Telecomm.), because they only operate on the UMTS frequency 2100 MHz (=3G networks).

If you intend traveling to more rural regions, I'd recommend a SIM card of the leading networks A1 or T-Mobile. Tele.ring is also possible because they use the network of T-Mobile.

The coverage in Austria is basically excellent. You can even receive calls within the subway tunnels in Vienna.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phones in Vienna-SIM card?

Probably not needed for this poster but information for others-

many buy a chaep but useable phone on Ebay - 20 -40 euro that will work in Europe with the sim card - already unlocked with correct frequencies.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World