We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vienna to lugano, by train?

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
vienna to lugano, by train?

We are visiting Vienna in August for four nights and then travelling on to Lugano. The train goes via Zurich and the journey is approx 12hrs. Is this the best route to take? How much might a one way ticket be? Should we book on arrival in Vienna, or via the internet from home? Any info / advice will be very welcome. I know its a long transfer but I liked the combination of river and lakeside settings!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vienna to lugano, by train?

Hi!

Yes, that's the best route and you will have many good views!

Do you go during the day or at night?

The night train also has sleepers with private bathroom, but they are very expensive. I can't give you information on the price, might be the best to contact the oebb.

If you like views you could also go first class in the panoramic car, between Vienna and Zurich. Have a look at http://www.bahnbilder.de/bilder/273.jpg

But second class will also be fine. It's maybe better to invest the money in a meal in the restaurant car.

I think buying the tickets on arrival or just before the departure will be fine. Mind that international tickets can not be bought at the ticket machines, you have to go to the counter.

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vienna to lugano, by train?

That is reassuring, it sounds as if we can make the journey interesting despite it's length. Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vienna to lugano, by train?

I would definitely book the Vienna to Zurich part of the journey beforehand, there are only 3 trains a day and it is a very popular route. The trains do have a panoramic car but I am not sure whether you can book a seat in them or not.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vienna to lugano, by train?

You will get a ticket at any time for this train. Every train that is not marked with "reservation required" can never be sold out, so a ticket can be bought at any time.

On the OEC (OBB-Eurocity) trains, you can choose from 2nd class, 1st class (open car), 1st class panoramic car (if mentioned in the timetable) and 1st class business (which is a compartment of 4 seats but costs 15 Euros a person/direction).

If you like views, definately go by the panoramic car. Just tell them, that you want to have seats in there.

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vienna to lugano, by train?

I am going to book the 9.30am train to Zurich. I have had some trouble navigating the Austrian rail website as they do not have a complete English translation and I haven't had a reply to my email request to them.

Rail Europe quote approx £64 (2nd) 0r £96 (1st) for a one- way ticket. Does this seem about right or should I pursue the booking via Austrian rail?

We are staying over in Zurich for a couple of nights and will then travel on to Lugano, returning home via Milan. The Swiss rail site seems clearer.

Thanks for your useful info.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vienna to lugano, by train?

If you need just one direction, there's no reduction in fares.

The 2nd class fare Wien Westbahnhof - Zurich is EUR 82,60. Seat reservation is EUR 3,40.

1st class is EUR 126,70.

Tickets can also be purchased online, but the website is only in German (I know, stupid!).

Are you a family?

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vienna to lugano, by train?

no, not a family - just myself and husband, at last!

I will book through Rail Europe, I think, as fares seem comparable, and they will post tickets out to us.

Thanks

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vienna to lugano, by train?

Yeah, they quote the some, the difference is only some cents. There are no reductions for one way tickets, so you'll have to pay the full fare. Have a good journey!