We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodation delimma - bristol? grand hotel wien?

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Topic
accomodation delimma - bristol? grand hotel wien?

Thanks for the suggestions. Konig von Ungarn is booked -- very disappointed. Actually considering the Pertschy because of location and "charm." Looking at Imperial, Bristol and Grand Hotel Wien. Any thoughts on location? Want to be where there are some local cafes, bars, restaurants at night. I don't want to be in a big hotel for the sake of being in one. Can do that anywhere in the USA.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodation delimma - bristol? grand hotel wien?

Hmm, I'm a bit fuzzy on locations cos of staying at cut-price places meself! But the Bristol is I think kind of opposite the opera. Imperial is in front of the Musikverein and opposite is the Cafe Schwarzenberg which a friend of mine swears by (I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend - hoorah!) I think the Imperial is a converted palace so maybe a bit more character than some of the others. But that area always seems quite a long schlep to get where I want to go (usually the Spanish Riding School hem hem).

One thing that puts me off the bigger hotels is that they all (apart from Sacher & the drilling!) seem to be located on the Ring. And that's just a surging ole sea of traffic, very difficult to cross so you end up using underground tunnels. If you stay actually within the innere stadt it's so much quieter since a lot of it is a traffic-free zone. Plus all the restaurants, cafes and such are then closer to hand (as most are pretty central rather than round the Ring area apart from the ones actually attached to the posh hotels).

There seem to be a cluster of nice restaurants and cafes sort of around the Wollzeile running up from the Stubentor. Behind Stephansdom, in other words. There are a couple more hotels in that area - did you look at Kaiserin Elisabeth? That's a quiet street with some nice places to eat very handy. Or you might try the Neuermarkt -the Ambassador is on the edge of that. I fancied staying there because Oberlaa, my favourite Konditorei, is on the Neuermarkt. Ooh, and Tirolerhof, a very nice cafe, just round the corner. Then there's the Astoria, a block or two up towards the opera. All three very handy to everything.

I love Pertschy and would stay there every time I went to Wien if only I could afford it! It is kind of weird and the rooms are a mixed bag - but I think if you book a "superior" room you actually do get quite a bit more for your money (I noticed the difference in bathroom size). The rooms facing over the inner courtyard are quieter but you may feel not very private with people tromping past your window along the verandah. There's no air conditioning which may be a factor in July. But it does have a minibar which is rather a rarity in European hotels and very useful in high summer. The staff are rather cool but extremely efficient. I think I said somewhere else i've stayed there about half a dozen times and never had to complain about anything (not that I am a complaining fiend but I am not shy of pointing out a problem if I'm not satisfied with something). So that tells you something about the place.

I guess it depends what you want. Generally I've found Viennese hotels pretty good - compared with say, the horrors one meets with in London. They're not flash-and-dazzle but they generally do what it says on the tin, as it were.

But whichever you end up choosing, I would advise going *into* the inner Stadt if you can rather than staying on the Ring. Every time I encounter the Ring I give a snort of horror and dash back into the comforting, quiet little mediaeval streets where I can stroll and rubberneck and generally not feel like six lanes of traffic are about to run me over. Of course being flattened by a Fiaker isn't exactly ideal either!

Have you looked at the new Style Hotel on the Herrengasse? That looks somewhat bizarre but good location. (But Cafe Central is so blah, much better to go to Griendsteidl or even better, Braunerhof on the Stallburggasse (just round the corner from Pertschy).

Anyway, hope that gives you a few more ideas to follow up and see what catches your fancy ...

Rol, very excited that she will be in WIen this weekend after an enormously long exile of over 2 months!

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodation delimma - bristol? grand hotel wien?

I wondered when Departure day was, Roley, I knew it was soon.

Enjoy, Roley! I've only (only??) got 6 months to go until I'm back too. Then March, although I've still got a trip to Dresden to sort out next year too, need to work round someone else's timetable there.

Hotels: I had my first ever meal in Vienna at the cafe of the Grand Hotel and it was great - nice surroundings, good food and very nice staff. Yes, it fronts onto the Ring but it backs onto the little streets just before the pedestrianized area, so it's not too frantic. The doormen on the front looked friendly too.

My choice is the Suzanne but I think it's way below your expectations. Another 'what it says on the tin': comfy room, pleasant breakfast, friendly staff - but no mini-bar or hotel bar or restaurant, apart from breakfast. BUT - it's on Walfischgasse, just a couple of hundred yards from the Staatsoper, virtually the same view as from the Sacher (but without the drilling and scaffolding) - and 65 E (single) a night for bed and breakfast.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodation delimma - bristol? grand hotel wien?

Thanks for that! I'm in a fine flap trying to think what to take with this unseasonably cold, rainy weather. Not much Eis for Roley if she is blue with cold! (tho I'm sure I'll choke some down). Honestly though, the fuss of these weekends away; anyone would think I were going for 3 weeks @@

I hadn't realized the Grand was on the correct side of the Ring! That makes it much the best of the big Ring hotels then - I hate trying to cross the Ring! (unless it involves sailing past the musical toilet ;) But I wonder if you have to pay a premium for a room facing away from the traffic. I am such a provincial now, I hate traffic noise. I think the Ambassador'd do me nicely. Not too much traffic round the Neuermarkt!

Rol. Must. Finish. Packing. Now.