We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna or Prague ?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna or Prague ?

Which one would be more interesting in mid December ?

How weather would be like and which has the most enjoyable Christmas atmosphere?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna or Prague ?

I think you would love the beautiful Christmas markets in VIENNA:

info.wien.at/article.asp?IDArticle=9010

http://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/site/publicdir/

www.weihnachtsmarkt.co.at/engl/info.html

http://www.christkindlmarkt.at/markt_en.html

weihnachtsdorf.at/weihnachtsdorf/…

http://www.altwiener-markt.at/9379/

spittelberg.at/weihnachtsmarkt/…markt.htm

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna or Prague ?

Of course you will receive biased opinions on both city postings.

My opinion, Vienna much nicer and more festive.

So many varied things to do . Also fantastic musical offerings.

Thus something for everyone ,everyday.

Weather would be mostly similar in both places- perhaps Prague just a litlle colder.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna or Prague ?

Thank you for your replies !

Still not sure which I should choose . Both seem to be such nice places…

Guess the decision will finally have a lot to do with flight timetable and hotel prices…

Anyway , if I finally choose Vienna, Prague would still be in my wainting list ( or vice-versa ).

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna or Prague ?

Have you considered visiting both cities, as they are only a few hundred km apart from each other? What is attractive finally depends on someone's taste, and cannot be decided by this community. Prague and Vienna have their beauties, which are worth to be visited!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna or Prague ?

Thanks for the sugestion Mikey , but indeed I have.

The thing is that I only have four days for the trip and don't want to spend them all changing planes (or trains) and hotels.

As much as I like going around ( and believe me I do ! ) I also like to take some time to "dive" into the local ambiance.

I guess that , if visiting both in four days , I'll pretty much miss that in either one or another.

So... that is why I am a little undecided which one to choose. Otherwise I'll certainly visit both ( and maybe also Budapest ).

So much to see , so little time...

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna or Prague ?

only four days wow. it depends on your taste prague is a medium size city with churches and bridges this is downtown prague if you like baroque type buildings prague is for you its prettier than vienna.vienna is a much larger city with lots more places to visit and the sights are i think superior to prague. but its not as pretty to look at as prague. with only four days i would give them to prague although i don't know how it is at christmas time. pick a hotel as close to the center which is downtown prague - save vienna for another time and enjoy.

7. Re: Vienna or Prague ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 10, 2009