We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German grammar books

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
German grammar books

Can anyone recommend a good German grammar book/teach yourself book?

I have basic German and can make a spirited stab at most tourist situations but I would like to learn more. Don't need anything audio, my accent's ok.

I'm a linguist by orientation (French and Russian) and LOATHE books that give you phrases to learn without explaining the grammar. I learned my languages in the good old rote days, der die das, amo amas amat, and it works really well for me.

So basically, I'm looking for a book with 21st century vocabulary but a pre-war attitude to learning grammar. Unerhoert? I hope not!

Pedal Power Bike and Segway
Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Instant Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Hotrod Tour Wien
City Tours, Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: German grammar books

Do you want like, a grammar handbook or an actual book-that-teaches-grammar? I have a Grammar Handbook for Reading German Texts (Langescheidt, Rogalla & Rogalla) which I got when I did a course on Translation for Idiotic Scientists. It's quite a useful reference.

Last year (coff coff) I signed up to an intermediate-level course with a view to finally getting to grips with this German thing. That conked out after a bit (hey, my novel was suffering!) but I liked the book-of-exercises we used because it was grammar-based and explained things properly in those terms instead of that airy-fairy interactive tosh. It's called Themen aktuell 2 (Hueber; Auderstrasse/Bock/Mueller) and it's the workbook, not the Kursbuch. It basically gives you grammar points and then has loads of exercises to do for practice. It's quite densely packed so that'd keep you busy. I got it at Blackwells and yikes it was dear - 17.99. I'm pretty sure you could pick it up in Wien/Munchen tons cheaper. Thing is, I find the German books for "Deutsch als Fremdsprache" much better than the English equivalent because they are not afraid to GRASP THE NETTLE of grammar.

Rol, whose favourite punctuation mark is the much-abused Apostrophe.