We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
311 posts
242 reviews
103 helpful votes
Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

We are going to be in Vienna 5th-10th September. I found this event going on. Just curious if any locals here on TA have been to this. If so is it worth spending a 1/2 day there or would we see the same products at the Naschmarkt as far as food/drinks go.

http://erntedank.jungbauern.at/

9 replies to this topic
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,849 posts
105 reviews
167 helpful votes
1. Re: Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

It tends to be more local produce. Naschmarkt produce comes from all over the world.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,652 posts
29 reviews
173 helpful votes
2. Re: Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

I haven't been there yet, and I need to admit that I did not know that such a "festival" takes place in Vienna's Augarten, but the programme sounds really worthwhile.

If you have sufficient time, then I would drop by!

Edited: 4:10 am, August 11, 2018
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

I’ve gone every year for the past 10 years. The festival is a festival, with stages, music, play areas for kids, wine bars, beer halls and specialty food products. The Naschmarkt is a market - and a highly touristy one at that - no locals really go there anymore. It is year round and different from a festival that happens once a year. If you want to go to a better market, visit Karmelitermarkt on Saturday morning, as it is just around the corner from the festival.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
311 posts
242 reviews
103 helpful votes
4. Re: Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

Thank you, since we will be in Vienna for 5 nights I think we will stop by this festival. Thank you for the information on Karmelitermarkt as well!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,652 posts
29 reviews
173 helpful votes
5. Re: Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

And if you do so, then please return to this thread and tell us your experience & impression of it. Thanks

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
311 posts
242 reviews
103 helpful votes
6. Re: Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

Will do, thank you!

Lakenheath, Suffolk
Level Contributor
234 posts
401 reviews
166 helpful votes
7. Re: Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

Hello, We will also be in Vienna that first week in September, flying home on the evening of the 8th. I am trying to put together a plan for each day. The Karmelitermarkt looks great as does the Harvest Festival. Can anyone tell me if there is an entry fee for the festival? We are happy to pay, but I just want to make sure we keep enough cash available for the last day! These two look good for our last day as we don't need to leave our hotel until 16:45 (we are staying at Hotel Caroline in Gudrunstrasse). It looks easy to get there from our hotel using the U-Bahn. Thank you!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Vienna Harvest Festival (Erntedankfest),

The festival is free.

Lakenheath, Suffolk
Level Contributor
234 posts