We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
154 reviews
87 helpful votes
Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

Hi all

Me and a bunch of my friends (all around 30s) are planning to visit Prague during xmas. We are landing in Prague on 22nd of December 2018 and plan to stay till 27th (this is flexible). Then the plan is to move on towards Vienna (stay there till 1st) and then fly back to Bangalore. The flights are already blocked. The tentative itinerary is

22/Dec (Sat) - 14:00 - Land in Prague

23/Dec (Sun) - Day trip to Dresden (xmas markets) via train / bus (please suggest options)

24/Dec (Mon) - Enjoy xmas markets in Prague and Xmas eve. Concerts, food, etc...

25/Dec (Tue) - Day trip to Karlovy Vary (train / bus)? or Local prague sights

26/Dec (Wed) - Prague local

27/Dec (Thu) - Drive down to Cesky Krumlov and stay the night

28/Dec (Fri) - Drive down to Vienna

29/Dec (Sat) - Vienna local

30/Dec (Sun) - Vienna local or a nearby day trip (appreciate suggestions)

31/Dec (Mon) - NYE celebration in Vienna

1/Jan (Tue) - Fly out of Vienna

Some questions

1. We are planning to rent a car only for the drive down from Prague to Vienna so we can stop and enjoy the sights on the way. How feasible is this during the winter? Snow, road clearance, etc...

2. Is there anything else that we should be looking to include / exclude in our itinerary based on the time at which we are coming.

3. Any suggestions for day trips from Vienna. Maybe skiing or snowboarding etc.?

Appreciate all your responses. Thank you so much for taking the time and reading this post.

Cheers. Can't wait to appreciate the amazing beauty of Czechia and Austria.

7 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
74 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

Skiing next to Vienna is in Semmering or Stuhleck, one hour south from Vienna.

Roads get cleared from snow. In city of Vienna car is of limited use and you must pay to park everywhere.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
154 reviews
87 helpful votes
2. Re: Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

Hi Salzburger67. Thank you for the quick reply.

I'll check Semmering and Stuhleck. Any ideas of the snow consistency during that time.

And yes the plan is to ditch the car as soon as we reach Vienna and use public transport internally at both Prague and Vienna.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
29,562 posts
29 reviews
175 helpful votes
3. Re: Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

I would spend all three days in Vienna and dismiss the idea of doing a sidetrip. Skiing sounds great, that's for sure, but the Semmering-Stuhleck area is not "snow-sure" or "snow-reliable".

It also takes some time to get there from Vienna, and if you haven't skied before, then everything is somehow stressful.

www.wien.info

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
154 reviews
87 helpful votes
4. Re: Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

Hi Michael S

I hear you. And I think we will end up doing that. Just that we come from a tropical place and we've never seen snow. So if there is a chance, we want to experience snow. Is this something we can decide based on the weather after we reach Europe? Or do we need to book these places earlier!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
29,562 posts
29 reviews
175 helpful votes
5. Re: Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

Remaining flexible would be best in your situation. If there is enough snow, then you can still decide on short notice whether you want to go.

Ideally return to the forum once your trip to Austria is close and we can tell you where snow (and maybe a winter wonderland) is prevalent.

No need to book anything for a day trip.

Edited: 4:22 pm, July 19, 2018
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44,335 posts
712 reviews
204 helpful votes
6. Re: Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

"I would spend all three days in Vienna and dismiss the idea of doing a sidetrip"

Agreed! Unless the OP doesn't have much they want to see in Vienna.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
179 reviews
106 helpful votes
7. Re: Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna

Surprisingly little response to a well-planned question!

I like you considering Dresden – nice x-mas markets and an easy day-trip from Prague (do it by rail).

Not sure whether Karlovy Vary makes sense in winter (25th) for a day trip.

At this time overnight in in Cesky Krumlov could be magic or boring – be there early as it will be dark by by 4:30 and the castle should be on your list – and lots of beer after nightfall.

As you have enough time in Vienna and should make use of the car, do Melk Abbey and the Wachau Valley/Duernstein en-route!

29th in Vienna, do “Inner City Highlights” and the remaining open X-mas markets.

30th do Schoenbrunn palace and market and the Ferris Wheel/Prater in the afternoon.

31st get out on the NY-Path by 3 pm – be part of the fun crowd! Arrange dinner (reservation essential/costly) otherwise you’ll freeze before midnight. Be on the Graben/Stephansplatz around midnight – it can get rowdy by then, bee on alert!

Reply to: Xmas 2018 at Prague & New Years at Vienna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted