We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

[question also asked on the Munich forum]

Hi.

We (4 adults with luggages) are traveling from Vienna (Austria) to Toulouse (Fr) in September/October. One of the alternatives is to go first the the Munich airport to set a buy-back Renault car and then go on the remaining 17 days trip to Toulouse (Fr).

Now the question is: What is the best and less expensive way to go from Vienna (Austria) to the Munich airport ? We have to be on Munich soon in the day in order to be around Sion/Sierre (Switzerland) before the end of that same day after taking charge of the Renault car on Munich.

Any suggestions/advices ?

Thanks in advance.

Gaston

16 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,495 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

fly? the only alternative is the train

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

Thanks. A private car with a driver is also an alternative, dépending of the cost of the flight. That's the kind of opinion that I'm looking for. Does it exist a service that would allow a driver to take the car in Munich and deliver it on Vienna, at a cost ?

Thanks,

Gaston

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,491 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

Simply take the train from Vienna to Munich, and change to the local airport train line there. You can quickly buy a through ticket from Vienna (Wien Hauptbahnhof Station) to Munich Airport (München Flughafen) on the website of Austrian Railways ÖBB or German Railways DB (buy wherever it is cheaper).

www.oebb.at/en

www.bahn.de

Edited: 3:11 pm, July 05, 2018
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

@Michael S

Your suggestion looks very interesting. Thanks.

It seems that there is no direct service from Vienna to Munich. Not being familiar with the train, I was concern by the possibility of losing a transfer between 2 trains, and then being too late in Munich ? Is it something that I should be worried about ?

What do you think ?

Gaston

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

There’s a direct train from Vienna to Munich every 2 hours....

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,981 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

Do you mean no direct service to Munich Airport? As pointed out there are direct trains to Munich city.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,491 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

There are quite a few direct trains every day, delays longer than 10 minutes are rare. And considering that the two airport train lines in Munich run frequently, it does not matter that much whether the incoming train from Vienna is delayed.

Of course you should have some reserve time if you have to be at the airport at a certain point of time.

Edited: 9:22 am, July 06, 2018
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

@Norman C

Yes I was referring to a direct train from Vienna to Munich Airport...Very unlikely ...Sorry about that one!

@Norman C

@Michael S

The only consideration is that, after having rented the car, I have to travel to Griments (Sw) in that same day.

If I well understand, your point is that there is many trains each day going from Vienna to Munich City, and if I loose the correspondence to the airport, there will be another one soon ?

Other that the departure and arrival time, is there anything else to consider before booking ? Is first and second class something to consider ?

Thanks,

Gaston

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,491 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

Yes, airport trains usually run very frequently.

Going by 1st class is not as fancy as for instance in airtravel, and because of that it is less relevant for most people, me including, also because most train trips do not take that long (in comparison to a long haul flight from Europe to the US).

If you are able to get a discounted 1st class ticket, then go for it, but I would never pay the regular full fare for it, not worth the money, but people of course may have different opinions on that.

10. Re: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 pm, July 16, 2018

Reply to: From Vienna to Munich Airprt (to take a buy-back car)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted