We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Munich

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to Munich

I'm trying to plan next year's Viennese treat - but I want to get to Munich at the end of June also.

I'm not having much success trying to source flights from Leeds to Vienna to Munich to Leeds, so I'm trying to work out how to get from V to M by train - but not having much success there either!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Alice

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Vienna to Munich

Oooh goodie - that DK Vienna guide is really excellent; although they look a bit too frivolous with so many glossy photos and drawings actually it has tons of useful information & is much better than the Time Out Vienna guide, for example. (and look at that piccy of Dobostorte on the "spot the cake" page - slaver!!! Best dobos is at Diglas am Fleischmarkt --- I'm so hungry!)

That sounds fun for March! Easter (when I usually go) is so late next year - hmm, 16 April - I'm not sure what's on then. But I figure, if you book far enough in advance it sort of spreads the cost doesn't it? I went thru a phase where I went to Austria once a month. (ahem) It wasn't too bad at all; by taking cheapie Ryanair flights about half the time (with corresponding long ghastly journey to Stansted) it was almost affordable. Can you get to STN by train? If so the Air Berlin flights are cheap for Wien - I got one at Easter for 38lb return all up which was eyepopping! And there are so many cheap, cheap deals on Ryanair to places like Munchen too for your June trip. (when I lived in Cambridge I used to do extravagancies like a day trip to Salzburg to see the Xmas markets which cost me about 24lb on Ryanair). But I supposed by the time you've added on the trainfare you might as well be flying from your local airport.

When you go to Munchen are you going to go to Wien? Or you could actually do a daytrip to Szg from there very easily by train if you've never seen it; Szg is very sweet.

I suppose i'm not doing too bad - I've got June, September, and December lined up already!

xr

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Vienna to Munich

Here ya go - problem solved! Win yourself a trip to Vienna! :)

…guardian.co.uk/austriannationaltouristoffic…

I should look for more of these comps to enter - it might reduce my perpetual holiday bills!

xr

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Vienna to Munich

Thanks! Tried it, why not!?!

Las Vegas
1 post
Save Reply
34. Re: Vienna to Munich

Did you try easyjet.com?

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Vienna to Munich

Thanks, addicted, I did but it doesn't fly out of my regional airport. The only really budget lines that do, don't go anywhere I want to! I don't mind driving TO another airport at the start of a holiday but it's not as much fun at the end. Once I've cleared the airport at Leeds/Bradford, I'm home in 28 minutes - so I guess I'm paying a bit extra for that convenience!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Vienna to Munich

Roley - the Chalet School in Exile is my favourite book of all time so don't feel silly!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Vienna to Munich

My word, a fellow Chaletian! Have you done the pilgrimage to Pertisau? It's definitely worth a visit and you can see just why Elinor must have fallen in love with the place (which I'm sure she did; it fairly lives in those first Tirol books!) I've been there twice, both times with my oldest friend who introduced me to the books when we were pigtailed schoolgirls. We loved it!

rol, a.k.a. Edna Purdon!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Vienna to Munich

I went to Achensee with my family in my mid teens. It was really fun, although I have to say, I have maintained the image that I created in my head of the lake, rather than what I actually saw. Plus, Elinor M. must not have done much swimming while she was there, because we could barely tolerate being in the glacial water for more than about 30 seconds at a time, and that was on a hugely hot day.