We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

5 posts
Save Topic
2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

I will be travelling to central Europe in late December - mid January together with my wife and 7 months old baby (by December end). Flights from Singapore to Munich and coming back from Prague. Below is my travel plan. We are most interested in scenery, shopping, culture, and little bit of history and architecture. We are not into nightlife.

Day 1: Arrive Munich at 9 am

Day 2: Munich

Day 3: Munich

Day 4: Train to Salzburg [rent car from Salzburg]

Day 5: Salzburg - drive to Hallstat for day trip

Day 6: Salzburg

Day 7: Vienna

Day 8: Vienna

Day 9: Vienna - drive to Budapest for day trip

Day 10: Vienna - drive to Bratislava for day trip

Day 11: Vienna [return car]

Day 12: Train to Prague

Day 13: Prague

Day 14: Prague

Day 15: Prague - 7 pm flight back to Singapore

Day 16: Arrive in Singapore

Questions:

1. I plan to rent a car while in Austria since it is more expensive to rent and return in another country.

2. Is it easy to move around using public transportation in Munich and Prague? (with a baby stroller)

3. Are day trips enough for Budapest and Bratislava? - or they require few nights stay at least?

3. Any other suggestions or day trips/places to go?

4. I experienced driving in Europe previously but had never crossed the border. Is there anything that i need to know on driving cross the border? e.g. Vienna - Budapest

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Edited: 3:59 am, October 16, 2017
12 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
787 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

Ad 1, yes it's quite more expensive to return a car in a different country. With you plan, however, I don't see why you need a car at all. A car certainly provides you with some more flexibility and you could enjoy some scenery along the way, but between the places you mention trains (with the exception of Hallstatt) are the faster and more convenient option. Using Westbahn or Meridian trains (between Munich, Salzburg and Vienna) will also be easy with a stroller, since the entry is at platform level.

Also in the city of Vienna a car will mostly be a burden. Many tramways are already Low-Floor vehicles, and subway entries are as well at platform level.

Ad 2,

a question better asked in the forums of Munich and Prague.

Ad 3,

A day trip to Bratislava is easy and feasible. I'd use trains again, since it's again easier with the stroller. Another option would be by bus. Budapest deserves some more time though. With only a day trip you'd just catch a glimpse and with travel time > 2.5 hours per direction, would mean a very long day.

Ad 4,

Should you really intend going with the rental car, make sure you got the toll stickers for Slovakia and Hungary on. You need to buy them before crossing the border. They're available at petrol stations. If you're renting a car in Austria, you'll already have the Austrian toll sticker on.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
4,379 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

I agree that since you seem to be concentrating on cities then a car is useless and parking is expensive. Public transport between Salzburg and Viennaa nd in the cities is very good and stroller friendly Even Hallstatt is doable by bus/train/ferry----covered many times.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

Hi - for Day 9 - day trip to Budapest - we did this using a train + bus combination - see my report here - may be helpful:

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g190454…

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,444 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

As already stressed, renting a car for a trip that mainly includes big cities is a bad idea. Because of that I would return the car in Vienna or already in Salzburg.

Budapest is not a classic day trip destination, but if you are happy with just getting a rough overview, then go for it. But should you go, then take the train!

At the state border between Austria and Hungary there might be random identity checks, but no long queues. On trains there also might be some checks, but it is not a real immigration procedure, because that is done when you enter the "Schengen Zone" of Europe.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,970 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

As it’s Schengen to Schengen what are the checks for then?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,655 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

My question is ... (and from your post I am assuming you are from Singapore) What experience if any do you have in winter driving - snow, sleet, ice? If none, I'd seriously consider taking the advice from posters above and using public transport. Safer for you and certainly safer for the locals

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,444 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

@Norman C

There is a still a state border between sovereign countries, and because of that there can be random checks.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,970 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

I gathered they have them Michael - just wondered why?

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

Thank you everyone for your comments. I really appreciate all the information that you guys have shared.

I mentioned Salzburg and Vienna because I believe they are the main destinations for many people. We are most interested in scenery - scenic alps, lakes. Where should i head to for these, that is not far from Salzburg or Vienna (1-2 hours journey should be fine)? What about Grossglockner?

@Michael S, I'm considering staying few nights in Budapest too. I will read more on this city. Thanks!

@thmoore, i have done winter driving (icy roads, snow) during my previous visits to NZ, Iceland, Switzerland. Nevertheless i would consider taking trains too if that's the best option. Thanks!

@KatoMumbai, that's great, thanks for sharing your report.

Again, thanks in advance!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,917 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)

"renting a car for a trip that mainly includes big cities is a bad idea."

This I don't like the idea of driving in big cities for vacations.

Reply to: 2 Weeks Central Europe (start Munich, end Prague)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted