We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusing zones

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Confusing zones

Hello again! From what i understood, i'll have to buy 2 tickets from the airport to the city. There's the 72h ticket and the ticket to the city borders. But here's the problem. I heard that there are no more zones anymore to select when buying the tickets. How do i proceed at the ticket machine? Ok, i'll first buy the 72h ticket and then, how do i select the other ticket? Is it from the "VOR" menu?

Thank you!

13 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusing zones

You look for the field „Chose Destination” (guess it’s right upper corner on the screen) and then “Schwechat” – the price should be € 1,70! So, it got more confusing but cheaper by 50 cents.

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusing zones

Hi Walter! You mean that field "Single VOR ticket with selected destination" from "Vienna and greater Vienna area zones" section, is that the one i should select? And why "Schwechat", is that the city border?

Thank you!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,051 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusing zones

Yes, Schwechat Station is the "border station" between the Vienna zone and the neighboring county.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,709 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confusing zones

It’s a lot more confusing for visitors since the change even if it’s a bit cheaper. Hopefully the airport ticket machines, which will almost exclusively sell tickets to people heading into town, can be programmed to have an obvious button for those doing just that!

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Confusing zones

So i'll be following these steps to get from the airport to the city and please tell me if i'm wrong with anything.

1. Getting to the Flughafen Banhof from the airport

2. Find the red ticket machine and buy 2 tickets, one for 72h and then one from the airport to the Schwechat Station. For the one to Schwechat station, i'll select "Single VOR ticket with selected destination". I'll validate this ticket.

3. Once i arrive at the Schwechat Station, i'll validate the 72h ticket and get on whatever train i'll get to the center.

Is that ok?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,051 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confusing zones

No, you do not need to deboard at Schwechat Station. All tickets must be validated before you start your trip at Vienna Airport station.

Also be aware that if you buy tickets/passes for "immediate use", then they do not have to be stamped at all. If you nonetheless happen to buy them for "later use", then there is a field you need to stamp (which you can't oversee).

It is also possible to buy these tickets from the ticket counter of Austrian Railways ÖBB in the arrivals hall.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confusing zones

Chances are you won't leave the train at Schwechat, so validate the 72-hour-ticket already at the airport. As far as I know, the supplemental ticket from the airport to Schwechat is already validated when printed by the ticket machine but it doesn't hurt to put a stamp on it as well.

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Confusing zones

Thank you so much guys! I very much appreciate all your answers

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,709 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confusing zones

Michael can you buy a 72 hour pass for “immediate use”? I thought they all had to be validated?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,051 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confusing zones

I frankly do not know, since I have never bought such a ticket in Vienna, but you can usually choose between these two options. If not, well then simply stamp it!

Reply to: Confusing zones
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted