We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Vienna with my teenager

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Vienna with my teenager

Hi there

I’ll be visiting Vienna, staying at Hotel am Konzerthau.

We’ve planned on visiting schonnbrunn, kunsthistorischesmuseum, Belvedere, st stephen church, the Jewish museum. Am I missing anything that could be of interest to a 14yo?

I was wondering if the Vienna travel card ( red one) was worth it compared to a simple travel card. Or could we do it all on foot ?

Moreover, I plan on either using the S7 to get from the airport to Wien Mitte or the other train ( railjet) to get to Wien Hbf. How long should I allow to go from the airport to the train platform?

Thx for your advice

11 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

Long time since I was 14! However, to answer your last question the Fast airport train that goes to Wien Mitte is only steps from the terminal. Turn left when you exit into the terminal , walk to the end and there you are. I THINK the S7 leaves from that same location. I have done the S7 in the past but don't think I will this time (am heading to Wien tomorrow) upon reading in these forums that RT ticket on the fast train is "only" 19 Euros and for the S7 you'll need to buy and validate your transit card and also pay a slight upcharge for extending it to the airport (I think it said it was 1.7 Euros each way). When you factor in the need for early validation of your transit card plus the upcharge that seems to me like less of a bargain. Also fast train is fool-proof while S7 is only mostly foolproof. Have a great time. My teen-aged daughter loved Vienna when we did that a few years back.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

I should add to my previous message-when you get to the end of the "left" end of the terminal you need then to turn right and go outside onto a covered walkway and proceed maybe 1/2 to 1 block to the train station entrance, which will be on your left. Have fun.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,991 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

Not sure what your answer means. Forgetting transit cards it’s €3.90 each way by S7 including onward travel from Wien Mitte. So return is €7.80. For the CAT it’s €19 return plus a single fare of €2.20 each way for public transport. That’s €23.40 in total. If you buy a transport pass you have to validate it at the airport for the S7 and at Wien Mitte for the CAT. That’s only going to be 20 minutes later! And you don’t go outside to get to the train station. They are linked by an underground passageway.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

If the poster is exiting the system at Hbf as I understand it (as I am at Mitte) there may be no need to have/validate a transit pass until the following morning. Am I wrong about that? But for sure even with that S7 is cheaper, esp for 2, but I think she already knows that. Price difference is less if you validate at the airport and then can't get by on a 3-day pass.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

How about the Prater wheel or Natural History museum?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,991 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

You need exactly the same tickets whether you go to Wien Mitte or Hauptbahnhof: a €1.70 ticket to get to the city border and either a validated €2.20 single city ticket or validated pass. The validated single ticket or validated pass also allow onward travel from both stations by any city transport.

Edited: 4:36 pm, October 11, 2017
Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

Thank you all.

Good to know the train station is a short walk away from the airport terminal. I’ll see which train comes first. (S7 or CAT or other)

Prater wheel and natural history museum were on my list as alternatives. We’ll head there if we have time.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,991 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

CAT is a different platform and ticket so you need to see whether S7 or Hauptbahnhof train comes first!

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

How about the Lippizaner stallions?

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager

Back to the first part of my original question

Is the Vienna card worth it (knowing that my teenager would travel for free with me) vs the 72h travel card ( for me ) and the 48h one for my daughter ( transport free for kids on Sunday I read)?

Reply to: 3 days in Vienna with my teenager
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted