We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from airport - S7 or CAT

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from airport - S7 or CAT

We're staying at the Mercure Wien Zentrum. What are advantages/disadvantages of either train from the airport to reach this destination? Do they both arrive at a similar location? Which is easier? Seems like CAT is quicker but dearer. Is it worth the extra?

Thanks

19 replies to this topic
Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

I've never taken the S7, only the CAT. I like the CAT even though it is more expensive, 3.90 Euros per person vs. 12 Euros per person (1-way). To get to your hotel, taking the CAT, you will need to change to the U4 (green line) once you get to Wien Mitte. Take it to Schwedenplatz and then you have a short walk to your hotel.

Review this link - there is lots of info about getting to the city center from the airport.

https:/…Arriving.And.Departing.html

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

I know KimBux is a CAT fan, but the extra cost makes no sense to me just to save up to 10 minutes. You actually have two cheaper choices from the airport. Any express train from the airport to Wien Hauptbahnhof then subway line U1 to Schwedenplatz or the S7 to Wien Mitte and U4 to Schwedenplatz. Both cost €3.90 and use the same tickets so catch whichever train comes first. This could get you to your hotel quicker than the CAT if the timings work out!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

I took the CAT last Friday and will be taking it again when I leave on Saturday. Certainly there is a difference in cost, but as a first time visitor to Vienna this is what made sense for me after traveling for ~15 hours.

If cost is an issue, by all means, go for the alternative, or look into ride sharing option or shuttle.

Once you're settled, the subway and tram system is easy to navigate and very reasonably priced. I've used it for all but one ride (hotel change today) while here.

Edited: 4:19 pm, September 24, 2017
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. Is it easy to decide at the time? To see what train is arriving first, get a ticket and find them?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

Yes get a ticket from the machine or, perhaps easier, the OeBB counter on the way to the platforms. When you get to the platforms look at the screens showing which trains are due.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
787 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

Given the face that since beginning of September OEBB is now offering between 4-6 connections hourly, leaving at least every 15 mins (2 regular S7 trains, up to two faster regional trains passing through Wien Mitte, and 2 express trains to Wien Hauptbahnhof), I would rather go for these regular trains.

In comparison to S7 trains, CATs are faster, more comfortable (in particular if you're carrying a lot of luggage) and its convenient if your airline allows check-in at the Wien Mitte rail terminal, in comparison with the express trains only the last advantage persists.

In terms of connection to Vienna's subway lines, both Wien Hauptbahnhof and Wien Mitte are directly linked to Schwedenplatz through the lines U1 and U4 respectively.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

Your questions are answered here: https:/…Arriving.And.Departing.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

Is the use of subway ( I will need to catch a U4 subway) included in the price of S7 ticket or not please?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

All further changes in the Wiener Linien network to your final destination within Vienna are included (subway, tram, bus).

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from airport - S7 or CAT

Thanks )

Reply to: Train from airport - S7 or CAT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted