We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessibility to Vienna airport

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nr. London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Accessibility to Vienna airport

Hi,

How accessible is the airport from the city during the early hours of the day? If I have to get to the airport by 6am, what is th best available option?

Supro

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessibility to Vienna airport

It's pretty good. The airport website has information about ground transport options and timetables - see

viennaairport.com/jart/prj3/via/website.jart…

If I am catching an early flight I usually get the "Vienna Airport Lines" bus from Morzinplatz (Schwedenplatz) to the airport. I think the first bus leaves the city at 5am, reaching the airport in about 20 mins.

If you are flying to London, you might think about the advance check in service that operates at Wien Mitte City Airport Train terminal. You can check in your luggage and get your boarding pass the day before you travel and then all you have to do in the morning is get yourself and your handluggage to the airport. I've done that for early morning flights (and amazingly your suitcase does turn up at heathrow - I was quite surprised!)

rol

nr. London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessibility to Vienna airport

Thanks Roley.

On checking back I realised my flight departs at 6. Which means I would have to get to the airport by 5. Did dig around and it seemed rather difficult.

Any insights would be a help.

Supro

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessibility to Vienna airport

Ugh, that is tricky. I think you will have to take a taxi. The only other option would be to do the previous-day check-in at Wien Mitte depositing your luggage and getting your boarding card, and then take the 5am bus in the morning so you can go straight through to the gate when you reach the airport (around 5.20am). A lot of hassle and probably paying extra for the taxi would be worth it.

The CAT train advance checkin service is not available for flights to the US or Israel, and there may be other restrictions so worth checking their site - www.cityairporttrain.com You are supposed to have a ticket for the CAT train to use the service. However, when I've checked in on the previous day no one has asked to see my ticket, so you could chance it. Otherwise you pay 9 euros for the privilege (the first train leaves at 5.38 so I would not recommend using that for a 6am departure!)

Hope that helps.

rol

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessibility to Vienna airport

Your best route at that time in the morning is the airport taxi transfer in my opinion

Book at least 24 hours in advance

www.airportdriver.at

www.airportservice.at

Probably a 20 minute ride from city center to airport that time in the morning.

Regarding the CAT - I believe check-in is for Star Alliance partners ( Lufthansa, AUA etc) Air Berlin, Fly Niki and Transaero only.

5. Re: Accessibility to Vienna airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 26, 2009