We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
46 posts
72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

As we are coming to Vienna from Thursday evening to Monday morning I do not know which ticket is better. I see 72 hours ticket costs 16 Euro and also the Weekly ticket. How can it be that for 3 days it is the same price as for 7 days?

Would I better buy the weekly ticket?

Is it sold by airport or is it better to order and print at home and just use it as is?

If I print at home, should stamp the begining of the usage or since it is Monday to Monday no need to stamp it?

48 replies to this topic
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,204 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

The weekly ticket is great value. If you get one it's for a specified week so no need to stamp it. But you can't use it after 09:00 on the final Monday.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
46 posts
2. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

So just buy thorugh internet and print it at home?

Another question - from vienna airport I need bus number 1 to WestBahnhof. Will be something open on airport around 20:00 to buy bus ticket? Will I get a discount with vienna weekly ticket?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

The weekly ticket and the 72 hr ticket cost about the same because the former is only valid from Monday to Monday while the latter is valid for 72 hours regardless of the day of the week. Both are available from ticket machines at the airport, no need to print at home.

You buy your airport bus ticket directly from the driver. There is no discount, because the airport buses are operated by a different company than Vienna public transport. Is your hotel near Westbahnhof?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
46 posts
4. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

Yes. Ibis in Mariahilfer.

Is there another bus/train I can use with a discount which is also stops not far from Ibis? We shoud land around 19:00 at the airport.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

You can buy a public transport ticket (week, 72 hrs or whichever you decide on) at the airport. Then buy another single ticket (valid from the airport to the city border).

Take S7 from the airport to Wien Mitte, then change to metro U3 to Westbahnhof.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,699 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

@Ben M

You are right, it is not logical that the 72 hrs pass is more expensive than a weekly pass. And the fact that the weekly pass is bound to calendary weeks does not really explain the huge price difference. It is rather that the transport administration wants to charge higher prices to visitors than to local commuters (which are entitled to vote every 4-5 years).

Another way to your hotel - using regular public transport - would be taking any ÖBB long-distance train to Wien-Meidling Station (= 2nd stop of all westbound long-distance trains leaving from Vienna Airport). There change to subway line U6 (route to: Floridsdorf) and get off at 'Gumpendorfer Straße'., walk the rest.

Since Vienna transport passes do not cover the entire ride between the airport and any place in Vienna you need a supplemental ticket worth 1.70€ (covering the leg between Vienna Airport and the municipal border in Schwechat).

Edited: 2:20 pm, November 22, 2016
Glen Cove
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
7. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

If you are a tourist are you still allowed to buy a weekly pass? It seems to me if you arrive in Vienna even on a Tuesday and you leave Saturday you’re better off for the weekly pass then a 72 hour pass.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,204 posts
104 reviews
8. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

How would a ticket machine know you’re a tourist? Of course you can buy one!

London, United...
Level Contributor
880 posts
89 reviews
9. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

Norman after all these years I have just discovered that two weekly passes is still cheaper than a single 8 day strip and thereore cheaper for our regular Monday morning to Friday evening visits. I had presumed .....

What a slow learner!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,204 posts
104 reviews
10. Re: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?

They are great value. It’s perverse that Wienerlinien resolutely stock to their Monday am to Monday am validity.

Reply to: 72 hours ticket to Weekly ticket?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted