We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
430 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Just returned from 7 wonderful days and loved Christmas in Vienna!

We stayed at the Marriott - on the Ring(/using points)-perfect location and have nothing but good things to report.

They put us in a lovely,huge, corner suite on the 7th floor that had an amazing view. The staff-starting at the check in desk and all the way up were always courteous,helpful, had a smile and ready to assist .

We took breakfast at the hotel, had our main meal out-usually around 4:00 (16:00), since once we left in the am- we were gone all day and returned around 7:00 (19:00) for some wine before resting our feet.

Loved the pumpkin soup at the Palmenhaus, ate at Cafe Central twice - my husband said their beef was the best he's ever had and my schtnizel was fork tender--desserts wellllll always a hard choice, but we managed!

Not impessed with Cafe Griensteidl---just average-- our mistake for not going further out of the area to eat,but we were hungry/thirsty :) and o well!!

Had a wonderful Christmas Eve lunch at the Sacher Cafe--the line looked long but the wait wasn't. I must praise their wait staff for their patience as some of the "guests" were quite demanding and just rude - but they handled it! You go girls!!!!

Christmas day we had a lovely meal at Purstner - no resrevation but got right in!! Starting with a glass of champagne, on to their fried CCambert cheese w/cranberries, pork medallions w/white cream and mushroom sauce/topped w/grated cheese and served with spatezle s/p?? our US version of gnocchi AND if that wasn't enough we finished with their yummmie chocolate nut cake w/cream and chocolate sauce!!!

I waddled out after that one.

Cafe Schwartzenberg - sorry I know I slaughtered this one--right on the ring a couple of blocks from our hotel-( love their rolls) fork tender pork and again yummie desserts.

We made it to 4 of the Christmas markets--kept getting lost/confused trying to find Spittleberg---why does everythig look different at night :) !!!!

Saved the Schonbrunn until the last and did some shopping also.

after walking all around the Palace--we toured it during our last visit.

I love, love the crepes but sorry guys - not a fan of the hot wine punch--I guess its more of a "acquired" taste - but I like my wine chilled.

My husband loved the Military Museum- we trammed up and walked back to the hotel taking in the sights along the way.

Natural history museum took up a good part of the day--so much to see.

We also toured the Treasury/Royal Vault/Crypt/Museum of arms and instruments, several churches - one beautiful, smaller Francescian domeniation behind our hotel, that we ejnoyed Christmas Eve service. The choir was amazing,the church sooo beautiful and we were lucky to get in for standing room only - very inspirational.

We attended the Royal Orchestra-Beethoven Platz 1- the day after Christmas--what a treat/the music/vocals and dancing was great- and so close to the hotel--had no clue when I booked the tickets-that was pure luck!

We toured the Opera House---sooo beautiful.

Along with just walking all over the back streets and soaking up all Vienna has to offer-stopping in shops-peeking into wndows, loving all the Christmas decorations.

Many of our evenings we ended up just walking all around Graben--o happy to be in Vienna for Christmas- loving all the lights and markets

Met some lovely people - always willing to take our pictures.

1. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 05, 2014