We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

Which Kitzbuhel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

Hello there,

My partner and I will be in Kitz at the end of August and he is very keen to visit the Eagles Nest if at all possible. We are travelling with Inghams Lakes and Mountains who offer a number of excursions but do not appear to do the Eagles Nest.

Has anyone ever travelled from Kitz to Berchtesgaden by public transport? I looked at the OBB website and the quickest route suggested involves 2 buses and a train - potential for getting lost I think!

If anybody has any recommendations or suggestions on how to visit the Eagles Nest from Kitz then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

As the OBB website showed, going by public transport is really awkward and time consuming. Going by way of Salzburg, requires to take the bus from S. to Berchtesgaden, and then two busses from the B'gdn RR station to the Kehlsteinhaus (aka Eagles Nest). The first bus takes you to the Obersalzberg, and then you have to take a special bus (extra brakes,etc.!!) to the elevatoi which will eventually take you to the actual restaaurant.

Check the www.bahn de site if the train route via Woergl, Rosenheim and Berchtesgaden is better.

If you were to rent a car (ooohps, you Scots say "hire" a car, I believe), it will take you about 2 1/2 t o 3 hours from Kitzbuehel to the parking lot where you have to take the special bus.: Kitzbuehel, St. Johann/Tirol, Lofer, B-305 (Deutsche Alpenstrasse) to Berchtesgaden (the Alpenstrasse ends at the RR station, Obersalzberg is clearly marked.)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,613 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

Laineylop, I am trying to find out the same info,I will be in Kitzbuhel from the middle of September,I have written to the Tourist office in Kitzbuhel and though they have sent some great info,nothing about getting to the Eagles Nest,If you get any info can you pleas pass it on.

BTw where are you staying in Kitzbuhel.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

Treptow, many thanks for your post. Public transport is definitely awkward but I will check the other website you mentioned as to any alternative routes. Otherwise we may have to hire a car (don't worry, rent a car is fine to me as well!).

Unclegus, we have booked a lastminute deal allocated on arrival so it is a bit of a gamble as to where we will end up. What about you? Will let you know if I get any more info on getting to the Eagles Nest,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

we are staying in the Hotel Schweizerhof,with the travel company Voyages Jules Verne.

I have sent an email yesterday to

info@eagles-nest-tours.com

asking about tours from kKtzbuhel.I await their reply and will pass on any info I get.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,613 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

this is a copy of the email I recieved from The Eagles Nest.

I had asked if there were organised tours from Kitzbuhel or if not what was possible regarding public transport,as you can see from the email I am no firther forward.

Hello

Thanks for your email. Our Eagle's Nest Historical Tour (conducted only in english), operates every afternoon from May 5th until the end of Oct. at 1:30 p.m. (duration 4 hours) departing from the Berchtesgaden (Germany) tourist office. From Kitzbuhl you would have to take the train to Berchtesgaden.

The price of the tour is 45 euro per person (active duty military and students qualify for a 3 euro discount) and 30 euro for children between 6 and 12 years of age (we do not accept bookings on this tour for children under 6). The price includes all entrance fees and transportation. As our tours are limited to 25 persons, it is a good idea to book in advance. For more info about the tour have a look at our web site www.eagles-nest-tours.com.

To confirm the reservation we require a Visa, Mastercard or American Express number with expiration date. The credit card account will be debited only in the event of a no-show. Free tour cancellation up to 24 hours prior to tour. Tour participants can pay individually in cash (preferred) or by credit card on day of tour.

- Some prefer to communicate their cc details by phone: +49-8652-64971

- Or by fax: +49-8652-64863

- Or by e-mailing your credit card number in two separate e-mails with half of the number in the first and the other half in the next

When booking please re-state the following:

1. Name

2. Tour you are booking

3. Date and time

4. Number of participants (age of children, if any)

Best is to bring some warm clothing with you as the bunkers are quite cold. Please be at our office at least 15 min. prior to tour departure. We are located opposite the train station in the Berchtesgaden visitors center which is a yellow building with green shutters and a wooden roof. It also has a sign on the front of the building with the words Berchtesgaden-Koenigssee with a red information i. The address is Koenigsseer Str. 2, Berchtesgaden. Telephone: ++49-(0)8652-64971. There is free parking just across the street from our office.

Best regards,

Christine Harper

www.eagles-nest-tours.com

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

Hello there,

Thanks for your replies.

I don't think there will be an organised excurision from Kitzbuhel to the Eagles Nest and that you will have to go via Berchtesgaden. Certainly the tour operator I'm travelling with (Inghams Lakes & Mountains) don't advertise such an excursion on their website.

I've been looking at the website below to see if there is any way of going by public transport:

http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/

The site is pretty self explanatory. The fastest outward route seems to involve 2 buses and a train. If you were looking to do that tour and it takes 4 hours then there would only be one option for the return journey which involves 3 trains (via Salzburg & Worgl), departing at 1950 and not getting into Kitx until 2240. Not sure you would make an earlier journey but there is a connection at 1715 that would get you back for 2030.

We're not sure what we are going to do yet. Think if we are going we wouldn't have time for the 4 hour tour if we were taking public transport. Other option is a car I suppose but not sure what the drive would be like. If I find out any more info I'll let you know.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,613 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

we are more or less resigned to finding out when we get to Kitzbuhel,we have a few trips organised but the Berchtesgaden and the Eagles Nest was not one of them.If we have to hire a car for a day we will do so ,but we really don't want to do any driving.

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

inghams DO mention a trip to berchtesgaden (presumably to eagles nest):-

inghams.co.uk/lakes/AUS/KIT/excursions.html

bookable locally via their rep £19 full day

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,613 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

thanks Teee7 ,it is good to know that we can book a trip to Berchtesgaden and from there get to the Eagles nest.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reaching Eagles Nest from Kitz

Hello,

Yeah I was about to post to say the same thing. We got hold of the Inghams brochure and it does appear that they do an excursion to Berchtesgaden with optional trip to Eagles Nest.

Due to the hassle of public transport we will probably just go with the organised ecursion. Inghams also operate out of the Schwiezerhof hotel so would expect that you would be able to book a place with their rep.

I'm back at beginning of September so will let you know how it goes.