We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Innsbruck driving

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Salzburg to Innsbruck driving

I will be renting a car and driving from salzburg to innsbruck on june 16. On googling and going through various forums i have found two routes.

1) Salzburg - Zell am see - mittersil - Gerlos - reith im alpbachtal - innsbruck

2) Salzburg- Bad reichenhall - lofer - soll - reith im alpbachtal - innsbruck

Can somebody suggest me which is the best route to take? I have reserved the whole day for this trip and is interested in some sight seeing and beautiful scenery along the way. I am actually more interested in first route through Zell am see. I guess it has drive through valleys and stuff and is more scenic.

I have absolutely no experience in driving through snow. As the first route travels through mountain areas, do i require snow driving experience? I do not want to take any risk as i am traveling with my wife and an infant baby. Is this route very safe to drive? Anyone has any idea how much do i have to pay in tolls throughout this route?

Thanks in advance

1. Re: Salzburg to Innsbruck driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, May 23, 2014
2. Re: Salzburg to Innsbruck driving

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, May 23, 2014
Austrian Alps...
Level Contributor
63 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg to Innsbruck driving

I know both routes very well...the first one is much longer, there was some snow a couple of days ago at the Gerlos Pass...and you will probably spend some time at the Krimml waterfalls....it will be tight and you will probably reach Innsbruck quite late if you stop everywhere....and as a suggestion, skip Reith im Alpbachtal and concentrate on Alpbach. Maybe a third interesting route that I suggest you to consider would be if you drive Salzburg-Reit im Winkl-Walchsee-Alpbach-Achensee-Innsbruck.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg to Innsbruck driving

The chance of having snow on the Gerlos pass in June is minimal.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg to Innsbruck driving

Thanks everyone for the suggestion

6. Re: Salzburg to Innsbruck driving

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 23, 2015