We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

Which Innsbruck hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

I guess Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular refer to the same thing, correct? Am a bit confused because they appear as to two separate items under "Things To Do" in TA.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

No, the Hungerburg train is the new cable car line between Innsbruck Center and Hungerburg, where the base station of the Nordpark ropeway section 1 (Hungerburg - Seegrube) is located.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

Thanks Mikey_Vienna. I get it now. Pls correct me if I am wrong. One uses the Hungerberg cable car train to reach Hungerburg. From there, you have the option of using the Nordpark cable to go up to Seegrube and further up to Hafelekar. Are the tickets for all of the above - Hunger/Seegrube/Hafelekar sold at the same place or have to be bought at different places? By the way, is it part of the INNSBRUCK CARD?

Edited: 3:02 am, October 07, 2013
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

You are right! By the way, the base station of ropeway section 1 can also be reached by public bus. This is cheaper. Yes, you can buy all tickets at once. As far as I remember, the Innsbruck card covers one mountain trip (Hafelekar or Patscherkofel Mountain).

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

So, if I get the INNSBRUCK card, I get to go the whole length - from Innsbruck city to Hafelekar ? That seems to be a good deal ..!!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

According to their website - yes!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

Any rough idea how long the whole trip should take - from getting into the cable train near Congress, going up all the way to Hafelekar and coming back to the same point, assuming one spends about 30 mins at the top enjoying the scenery?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

I would allocate at least 3 hours.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

We took the trip up the mountain from the Congress Station in January this year and it took about 30 minutes to get up to Hafelekar. We only stayed at Hafelekar for about 15 minutes as it was very cloudy and we were the only ones up there. There was a lot happening at Seegrube though, people skiing, eating at the lodge, etc and we stayed there for about 2.5 hours just playing in the snow, having lunch and enjoying the brilliant view!

We bought tickets at the congress station for the whole trip from the station to the top of the mountain and it cost about 27 euro per person for the return trip. It was a short walk from the centre of Innsbruck town to the Congress station.

We had an amazing afternoon enjoying our time on the mountain.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

We just returned after a great trip to Austria, including Innsbruck. It was a cold but sunny day when we took the cable car to Mt.Hafelekar. Seegrube had patches of snow while Hefelekar was fully covered in snow. The views were clear and we could see for miles around from the top, with the river Inn glistening visible like a shiny thin ribbon winding from one end to the other. There were many people up there and we spent close to 2 hours at the top, playing in the snow and trying to clamber higher. Altogether, it was a great day.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nordpark Cable Railways and Hungerburg Funicular

That's interesting to hear the difference between October & January! Seegrube and half of the mountain was fully covered by snow when we were there, I wondered what it would be like other times of the year, such a beautiful place!