We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck in January

Melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Innsbruck in January

Hello,

I want to stop in Innsbruck on my way from Vienna to Zurich but it will be January, will there be any point stopping if I am not going to Ski, will it be snowing?

some advice would be great thanks!!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,668 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck in January

Innsbruck is the capital city of the Tyrol province and has a nice city center. Whether it will be snowing can't be said that far in advance. Such predictions can be made a few days in advance. More info about Innsbruck can be found here: www.innsbruck.info

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck in January

Yes, it will be worth it even if you do not ski. You can still visit the old town or if you prefer, if it's a clear day, take the Nordkettenbahn from the Congress (just outside the old town) up into the Alps for a spectacular view.

www.nordkette.com/en/top/home.html

Paul

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck in January

It is certainly worth visiting Innsbruck at any time. We were there just after Christmas and it snowed overnight but not at all during the day. In fact the days were glorious, cold but with clear blue skies. As the previous poster says the Nordkette is unmissable if the day is clear.

Enjoy!

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck in January

We are also having a short overnight visit to Innsbruck in January (on the way from Munich to Venice by train). I am hoping very much that the weather will be fine enough for a trip on the Nordkette cable car. I have looked at the site posted above, and I see that there are two levels to the trip up the mountain. Does anyone know whether you need to go outside (ie: into the cold) to make the transition between the cable cars - I am wondering how rugged up you need to be! Also, is the viewing from inside or outside the car when you reach your destination. I want to be prepared.

We hope to reach Innsbruck by late morning and drop our cases off at the hotel before going on the cable car. Do you think a full afternoon would be enough for this trip, considering we have no desire to ski, only to sightsee!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,668 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innsbruck in January

In any case I would take the cable car up to Seegrube (intermediate station) and on to Hafelekar Station (upper station). Latter one is located at an altitude of 2.300m above sea level. No, you do not need to leave the building in order to reach the other cable car. Be aware of the heavy winds that may occur up in the mountains. At the intermediate level there is a self-service restaurant where you could make a break and enjoy a hot beverage. If weather is nice, you can also sit outside on the patio. A few hours are enough for this jaunt.

The base station of the cable car can easily be reached by either the Hungerburg train which departs in the center or by local bus 'J'. Latter one could be used with any transport pass while the train costs extra. And as far as I know it is pricey - why I took the bus which runs through a nice neighborhood. Here is a map of the bus and tram network of Innsbruck:

ivb.at/fileadmin/download/fahrplan/mein-fahr…

Edited: 1:46 pm, April 15, 2012
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Innsbruck in January

As Mikey says you do not need to leave the buildings to change cable-cars. We spent a whole day up there. We went to the top station, Hafelekar, first and had a walk around there. We had the bluest of blue skies so the views were wonderful. We then went down to Seegrube and hired a toboggan for some fun in the snow and then had a relaxing lunch there.

We were well prepared for the snow wtih down jackets under gortex jackets but it was so sunny (in late December) that people were in t-shrts and we had to strip off the layers.

We also had waterproof snow boots so we were able to walk about everywhere and enjoy the toboganning.

Enjoy!

Edited: 6:21 pm, April 15, 2012
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Innsbruck in January

Thank you, that's great information!

8. Re: Innsbruck in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 20, 2013