We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

Which Innsbruck hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

Hello All,

We are planing Europe trip in June 2012 and have questions on City night line train reservation between Innsbruck to Rome.

I bought 3 country euro rail pass(1st class) and I am trying to reserve 1st class Deluxe double compartment on June 9th 2012, but the train fares looks very expensive which is $258 per person on June 9th. But if i search the same on june1st the fare is $98 per person.

So does the fair reduces with time as i am looking more than 3 months ahead? or the fares jumped in price because of summer?

Below is the website i was looking at

raileurope.com/us/…passholderrequest.htm

Also do i have to book reservations in advance for night trains or i can reserve it on the same day on my trip?

Thank you in advance.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

First of all don't use Raileurope. They are just an expensive reseller. Always use the websites from the national rail companies.

Also too late now but rail passes are often a waste of money. On many National Rail sites you can get good discounts for advance booking

National Rail sites

Germany www.bahn.de

Austria www.oebb.at

Switzerland www.sbb.ch

Italy www.oebb.at

For specifically the CNL services (Innsbruck to Rome) you can use Italian rail www.trenitalia.com

Other than this service if you want to book any rail tickets to/ from Austria use Austrian national rail www.oebb.at

You should be aware that the German/Austrians are responsible for all Intercity cross-border services (over Austria) to Italy. You can book on www.oebb.at up to 92 days in advance to get any discounts (hence your difference in prices).

The Italian site will show the other services but only the full price tickets not any discounts.

If wishing to go to Switzerland you should also consult Swiss rail www.sbb.ch and compare to trenitalia to see if any discounts.

IMPORTANT: You should also be aware that in Italy seat booking is compulsory on the fast Intercity Eurostar FRECCIARGENTO FRECCIABIANCA Trains. Seat booking is not included in your rail pass so you will have to pay for this (€10) in advance.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

Rail passes are particularly expensive and inflexible in Italy, not to mention the rest of Europe - see www.seat61.com for more information.

If you can return your pass, do so. You will save a lot of money buying on-line.

E.g. Innsbruck to Rome costs from €49 (including couchette supplement) www.oebb.at - IMO there is no real need to spend way over the odds for a tiny little shower (the accommodation is otherwise identical to second class), but that is up to you.

I repeat what is said above, never use Rail Europe or other agencies such as Eurail as they are rip-offs.

Edited: 5:27 am, March 03, 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

Thank you giftzwerg and gcek, I will try to return my pass.

Also can I make online reservations from US into this website http://www.trenitalia.com/ ?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

Sure you can!

BTW to travel between Innsbruck and Rome there are no direct trains - you need to change in Innsbruck, so buy separate tickets - €29 second class or €39 first class Innsbruck to Verona www.oebb.at and then Verona - Rome with trenitalia on the link you mention above - you can get a 'mini' fare from Verona to Rome for €46 per person including sleeper supplement in a double compartment. In fact I don't even think that train even has deluxe compartments with showers as that is not one of the options.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

www.trenitalia.com will book the direct Rome-Innsbruck City Night Line sleeper, departing Rome 19:05, arriving Innsbruck 04:31 (ouch!) en route to Munich.

www.bahn.de is easier to use, and will book this train if you book through to Munich rather than Innsbruck (same prices, so makes no difference!) and simply get off at Innsbruck.

But the change in Verona option might be more civilised and more scenic!

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

Excuse, I would like ask where did u find Innsbruck to Rome costs from €49 ? I tried to search for the price on both oebb and db bahn, But both of them do not have any price information about this routine... and then, I tried to send email twice, but no replies...

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

Another quick questions to all travel guru's - is this website legit?

http://www.italiarail.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

Another reseller. As giftszwerg said, it's best to use the websites from the national railway companies.

9. Re: Innsbruck to Rome overnight train fares in June 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, June 14, 2013